how do you install 2nd receiver for a bedroom yourself

jameszeesmith

Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
st. louis
I want to put a second receiver in my bedroom. I bought a refurbed 301 on ebay with a purple card. Do I split the cable going to the dish and send a line to the new receiver. I heard I must activate this receiver and pay $5.00/mo extra.
Is there a set of directions for diy'ers

Any comments appreciated

jameszeesmith, St. louis, MO

You'll need to run that coax (RG-6 rated for 3GHz) from your new receiver all the way to either the switch (if you have one in your system, sounds unlikely tho') or the LNB(s) at the dish.

Once connected and powered-up the 301 will go through the set-up exercise with you and assuming that's successful you'll get a prompt to call and activate, and yes it's an extra $5 per month.

Here's a link to the 301 User's Guide (in parts) for more information.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/support/documents/receivers/301/default.aspx

Check especially "Part 4", beginning on page 113 for set-up into an existing system.

Welcome, BTW...

Last edited:
bhelms is correct, but he forgot to mention that there may be an open port at the ground block. usually two cables are run from dish to groundblock.
so, if thats the case, run rg-6 from the groundblock to your receiver, run checkswitch, menu 6-1-1-test
then cancel out and activate.
please do NOT use a splitter.
:)

So one thing before you get a lot of time in. Call Dish with the R # and s# and be sure
1) it is not a leased box
2) there is a $0.00 balance an you can activate on your account.

Ebay very good for High balance boxes and leased boxes... Niether can be activated.

Other then that both are correct by some means you have to get cable from dish to box and activated on your account.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts