How do you know how many splitters you can use

bighick

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Omaha, Ne
I have a roof mount OTA antenna. I need to split it with a dual where it comes in, a dual at TV1 (1 for the TV one for the FM radio). I also need to split it at TV2 (1 to go to the sat. box and 1 to the tv (my GF doesnt care about HD so it will make it easier than switching inputs on the tv)) And I will eventually have to put a 3way in where it enters the house when i get my next HDTV in my bedroom.

Do I just check signal strength and look for it to drop or should I just go get a 1input 4 output powered amp now? I currently have a radioshack inline amp.

I ocasionlly (maybe once every hour or 2 but dont watch the channels enough to know) get pixelation on like 2 of the channels but am unsure if that is due to splits or just not getting a good signal on them since they are on the backside of my antenna.

Are you using an antenna mounted pre-amp? The gain of a pre-amp can overcome the loss of several splits but you may be too close to the broadcast stations to use a pre-amp. In that case a powered distribution amplifier is needed.

Are you using an antenna mounted pre-amp? The gain of a pre-amp can overcome the loss of several splits but you may be too close to the broadcast stations to use a pre-amp. In that case a powered distribution amplifier is needed.

What should I look for in a Powered Distribution Amp?

I have an antenna now that is split to 2 HD tv's with zero issues. I would like to split it to several tv's later this spring after the dtv switch. What do I need to do, what should I look for?

this would be good for you i believe, 1-to-4 Bidirectional Cable-TV Amplifier - RadioShack.com. Or the one I have listed below. But I think like home depot and lowes and such have them also.
This is what i currently have In-Line Signal Amplifier - RadioShack.com . (i let radioshack trick me into getting that but at least I already have it since i would probaly need it.

Ps. I guess the one i have is cheaper as long as you dont need to buy any splitters, and also is +10db while the top one is +8. I have a bunch laying around from when I had cable since they install them for free and I rewired my house before I got the OTA and Satellite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts