How do you remove recordings from a folder?

ppappas

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 10, 2004
San Jose, CA
The other day when I was experimenting with folders, I could not find any way to move recordings out of the folder, except to move them to an EHD. Dish's online documentation describes how to create and move recordings into a folder but that all. There is no provision for the reverse.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
The other day when I was experimenting with folders, I could not find any way to move recordings out of the folder, except to move them to an EHD. Dish's online documentation describes how to create and move recordings into a folder but that all. There is no provision for the reverse.
Let me try this in real time on a Hopper 3 as I had done it before and it works...

1) Press DVR on remote
2) Select Folder <--- Step not needed to move something from non-folder to folder
3) Press Options button on remote
4) click on "2 Manage Recordings"
5) Select one or more titles aka recordings
6) Select "4 Move to Folder"
7) Select "No Folder" on the pop up where it says "Add the selection to:", you can also move to another folder or even create a new folder from there to move. The last requires pressing "Create New Folder" then naming it and then it will bring you back to the previous popup with "Add the selection to:" where you can select the folder you just created.

Let me try this in real time on a Hopper 3 as I had done it before and it works...

1) Press DVR on remote
2) Select Folder <--- Step not needed to move something from non-folder to folder
3) Press Options button on remote
4) click on "2 Manage Recordings"
5) Select one or more titles aka recordings
6) Select "4 Move to Folder"
7) Select "No Folder" on the pop up where it says "Add the selection to:", you can also move to another folder or even create a new folder from there to move. The last requires pressing "Create New Folder" then naming it and then it will bring you back to the previous popup with "Add the selection to:" where you can select the folder you just created.
Thanks! I will give that a try. Why can't Dish add that to its "How To" directions!! As a former software development director, a project was never considered complete unless the appropriate documentation was also updated. It's not that hard, it just needs to be part of the development and QA testing process.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks! I will give that a try. Why can't Dish add that to its "How To" directions!! As a former software development director, a project was never considered complete unless the appropriate documentation was also updated. It's not that hard, it just needs to be part of the development and QA testing process.

You would need an encyclopedia sized guide to cover every possible configuration of remote, equipment, and task. How many times have it been said RTFM (Read The F'n Manual). People just don't, especially when it is so big and ungainly.

What Bobby said is correct since a majority of people even if there was a manual regardless if it was small or big would not read it and then ask questions and be told to RFTM. I used to run a IRC bot for the FreeBSD channel and one of the responses was:
First, do your homework first and RTFM and if that still does not work, ask nicely and with patience, you may get an answer.

Can't remember the exact words as it has been almost 30 years.

Bobby's reply with the RTFM atleast gets to the point with what the F meant while I remember in the old days on forums and discussion groups, the most they would do if they did not put RTFM was "Read the Fine Manual" and being more friendly about it.

I am sure if someone made a FAQ on the forum with answers to things people have asked, most people would not read it.

No different than Microsoft not having a Check for Updates button that is somewhere easy to find without first going into settings on Windows or DISH when they release software updates, they do not provide a change log on what is new, what is fixed, what are known issues, etc. I am sure if there was documentation, there is always a chance of mistakes like someone decided to write about the Red Light on the front of the Hopper 3. :biggrin

You would need an encyclopedia sized guide to cover every possible configuration of remote, equipment, and task. How many times have it been said RTFM (Read The F'n Manual). People just don't, especially when it is so big and ungainly.
That's a poor excuse. I am not talking about a 200 page book and I am not talking about all the permutations of equipment. But the User Interface needs to be well documented. The online documentation's organization is actually pretty good, but the actual information is minimal to non-existent. In this particular case, the doc shows a few steps to select and move one or more recordings into a folder, including creating that folder. It's only logical that it should also show the steps to remove those recordings from the folder. It's not hard. If the User Interface wasn't so inconsistent and more intuitive, more documentation wouldn't be necessary. Again, in this particular case, in an open folder, all there needs to be is a "Manage Recordings" option to move out of the folder. If that existed, it becomes self-documenting.

Again, in this particular case, in an open folder, all there needs to be is a "Manage Recordings" option to move out of the folder. If that existed, it becomes self-documenting.
There is a "Manage Recordings" section at all levels when you hit options button on the remote....
1) The top level unnamed folder, the one that shows PrimeTime Anytime has a "Manage Recordings" where you can select every title except a folder when you hit options button on the remote....
2) Assuming you had a subfolder named "1" and you enter inside the "1" folder, it does have a "Manage Recordings" where you can select every title when you hit options button on the remote....
so it does exist at every folder level where there is really only two level as one is the unnamed folder and the other are the user named folders and basically, it is already self-documenting.

I've always wanted the ability to remove all recordings out of folders and have them listed by themselves in order of record date. Never have seen how you could do that though

I've always wanted the ability to remove all recordings out of folders and have them listed by themselves in order of record date. Never have seen how you could do that though
The same way since from post #2 above, for step #5, there is a select all recordings function if I remember correctly. If there isn't, then you manually select all of them in step #5. The sorting part is automatic because once on the non-folder or main folder, it will sort in reverse recorded order by the date and time stamp from the newest to the oldest so the newest title recorded will always be first followed by next newest. If it's something that has a number on the corner like the ones with multiple recordings under that name, then that item is based on the most recent recorded timestamp. I don't know if you can decide on the sort order though.

The same way since from post #2 above, for step #5, there is a select all recordings function if I remember correctly. If there isn't, then you manually select all of them in step #5. The sorting part is automatic because once on the non-folder or main folder, it will sort in reverse recorded order by the date and time stamp from the newest to the oldest so the newest title recorded will always be first followed by next newest. If it's something that has a number on the corner like the ones with multiple recordings under that name, then that item is based on the most recent recorded timestamp. I don't know if you can decide on the sort order though.
Chuck Summers
Actually, I just checked and for the sorting, you have two choices, either by date or by A-Z. To tell the Hopper 3 how you want things shown, you would still follow post #2 above and do steps #1 followed by step #3, then choose option #1 which says sort and you have two options when the sort menu popup shows:
A-Z
Recorded Date

Recorded Date is what you want which will show the newest to the oldest or reverse chronological order.
A-Z would sort in the order of the alphabet, not sure how it treats titles with numbers.