My 722k dying?

rex_a

Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Jose CA
I'm still using a Vip722k. Today (Sep 21, 23) it seems to have developed big problems. Maybe my internal HD is dying? Wondering if anyone has opinions?

Turned on my 722 rcvr. Saw a top header for the last channel I was watching but the content was a black screen. Hit some buttons on remote to try to move to a different channel or the program guide. 722 seemed to be frozen, then it started a reset on itself.

With 722 back up I can watch live programs on all my channels but there are many problems.

Program guide shows only about an hour of info at current time but all later time slots show:
"No Info Available"
If I scroll into these times I get a box with:
Error -- Program information on the hard drive is outdated. -- Retrieve program information from the satellite now?
If I say yes, it goes through the download process (normal about 10 min to complete). At the end, nothing changes in the guide.

I've power-cycled a couple times and run check switch several times. Nothing changes.

Other nasty symptoms:
I press the DVR button and it pops up this box:
Error -- Server connection failure. Receiver is unable to connect to network server.
[Anyone have any idea what that means?] The broadband connection seems to be ok.

If I press DVR again I get the normal menu.
but... My Recordings is empty; Daily Schedule is empty; all my previous timers are gone.

While watching a channel if I press record, I get the normal choices but it doesn't record.
If I try to set a timer for a future event it says searching for events that match but ends with no timer.

One thing that does work -- if I am watching a channel I can scroll back in time for that channel, so recording is working at that level.

Does anyone have any idea what has gone wrong. In System Info in the menus, HDD shows green. Is there any way run an fsck or some other HDD test?

This is how they act when the capacitors start to go bad. If you open the lid, I bet you'll see some bulged caps.

bulged_capacitor.jpg

I'm still using a Vip722k. Today (Sep 21, 23) it seems to have developed big problems. Maybe my internal HD is dying? Wondering if anyone has opinions?

Turned on my 722 rcvr. Saw a top header for the last channel I was watching but the content was a black screen. Hit some buttons on remote to try to move to a different channel or the program guide. 722 seemed to be frozen, then it started a reset on itself.

With 722 back up I can watch live programs on all my channels but there are many problems.

Program guide shows only about an hour of info at current time but all later time slots show:
"No Info Available"
If I scroll into these times I get a box with:
Error -- Program information on the hard drive is outdated. -- Retrieve program information from the satellite now?
If I say yes, it goes through the download process (normal about 10 min to complete). At the end, nothing changes in the guide.

I've power-cycled a couple times and run check switch several times. Nothing changes.

Other nasty symptoms:
I press the DVR button and it pops up this box:
Error -- Server connection failure. Receiver is unable to connect to network server.
[Anyone have any idea what that means?] The broadband connection seems to be ok.

If I press DVR again I get the normal menu.
but... My Recordings is empty; Daily Schedule is empty; all my previous timers are gone.

While watching a channel if I press record, I get the normal choices but it doesn't record.
If I try to set a timer for a future event it says searching for events that match but ends with no timer.

One thing that does work -- if I am watching a channel I can scroll back in time for that channel, so recording is working at that level.

Does anyone have any idea what has gone wrong. In System Info in the menus, HDD shows green. Is there any way run an fsck or some other HDD test?
As a tech for 11 years, I've be er seen those error messages. The way you describe it seems like hdd may be on its way out. It's weird that dvr shows empty but you can go back on live TV and hdd shows green. It's definitely possible there's bad capacitors as mentioned too. Either way I'd get ready to have dish replace it (there's still plenty) or you can upgrade to hopper.

Latest unexpected development -- It fixed itself.

For sure around 10 PM yesterday (first failed around noon) it was broken because I took some pics of the various problem screens. Around 3 AM I couldn't sleep so thought I'd turn on the TV for some news. Hmm, guide pages look normal. Yes I can scroll guide into the future and it is there.

About 1 PM now and all looks good. Guide is complete, my recorded programs came back, the daily recording looks good, and all my timers came back. I set one new timer and it recorded. Everything looks normal after just a few hours of power off. Not even the time when it should have done a connect.

I'm left with no explanation what went wrong or how it fixed itself. Stuff that seemed to be lost came back. Maybe some karmic message that I haven't processed yet.

Thanks for sharing thoughts on my problem. I was planning to pull the 722 today and look for anything inside. Also intended to pull the drive, connect it to a Linux PC and see if I could see anything.

Now -- if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If any problems come back I'll post here. Summary: sudden and unexpected series of problems that all came at once, lasted around 12 hrs, then all went back to normal.

???

• Wow
Reactions: charlesrshell
Latest unexpected development -- It fixed itself.

For sure around 10 PM yesterday (first failed around noon) it was broken because I took some pics of the various problem screens. Around 3 AM I couldn't sleep so thought I'd turn on the TV for some news. Hmm, guide pages look normal. Yes I can scroll guide into the future and it is there.

About 1 PM now and all looks good. Guide is complete, my recorded programs came back, the daily recording looks good, and all my timers came back. I set one new timer and it recorded. Everything looks normal after just a few hours of power off. Not even the time when it should have done a connect.

I'm left with no explanation what went wrong or how it fixed itself. Stuff that seemed to be lost came back. Maybe some karmic message that I haven't processed yet.

Thanks for sharing thoughts on my problem. I was planning to pull the 722 today and look for anything inside. Also intended to pull the drive, connect it to a Linux PC and see if I could see anything.

Now -- if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If any problems come back I'll post here. Summary: sudden and unexpected series of problems that all came at once, lasted around 12 hrs, then all went back to normal.

???
I’d say your living on borrowed time.

Back in the 5XX days I had a couple of receivers that went through similar fits. In those cases it was the HD dying. Some weeks of constant reboots, then weeks of perfect operation. Then one day, dead as a door nail. Lost all my unwatched recordings.

I also had a 722 do the same thing. But in that case I learned my lesson and managed to save everything just as it croaked. A replacement was painful, but nothing was lost.

I would move all your recordings quick to an EHD while you are in a good phase, photograph pictures of all your timers, favorite lists, and settings. And think about replacing/updating your receiver ASAP before one day you wake up to a doorstop. Because odds are, it’s coming; and sooner then you’d like..

Last edited:
I've also seen the receiver repair itself.
It may have been a bad sector developed on the HDD and the system had to run a self diagnostic to determine the problem and fix it.
I've also seen Windows 10 do this.

Hard to say what the problem is since it seems like when it was powered off assuming it was still plugged into the AC outlet or not, there was still electricity stored in the capacitors which required time to drain and after draining, it worked normally but usually for me, I would have taken it apart to see if there were visual problems I can spot and see what happens by powering it off or unplugged and then turned on again and basically even if it recovered, use it without the cover and see if the problems return or not. And then also replace the capacitors if the same problems come back again and then see if it works correctly or not and then if it does over a longer period of time, then close the cover and treat it as 100% working. Otherwise, time to get a replacement since already did everything and the same problem still occurs.

Ofcourse before doing that, I would also do what RTCDude suggested with recordings, timers, favorite lists and settings.