how does E* get local stations?

meldar_b

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
Floyd Co. Kentucky
I'm curious :confused: how does E* and D* get all the local networks feed to them:confused: do the stations have up-links at all the stations around the country?

sorry if this has been asked before:cool:

they have a hub in each market they serve that they either pull local stations in with an ota antenna or the station sends their signal to that hub via fiber. and then at that hub another fiber run takes it to where the signals get uplinked to satellite, which can be any one of the numerous uplink facilities around the country

Pretty cool process when you hear about it from start to finish. Kinda surprising there aren't more problems with them.

WOW!

I thought the stations would have a satellite feed directly to E* & D* uplink facilities. I guess the 2 DBS hubs are the ultimate in cable TV huh:rolleyes:

I get the biggest kick when a local station is having problems with their transmitter they will apologize on air.But the feed we receive thru satellite is still what we would consider a normal transmission.Being 70 miles away from the transmitter it's definately worth the money to receive locals thru satellite.

are they any web pages or books available to the public on how all this DBS broadcsting stuff works. I meaning the real nuts and bolts of the service and not the "how stuff works" internet site stuff. :confused:

meldar_b said:
are they any web pages or books available to the public on how all this DBS broadcsting stuff works. I meaning the real nuts and bolts of the service and not the "how stuff works" internet site stuff. :confused:

Not that I know of. Both the companies (Dish and Direct) are pretty secretive about their system. Your best bet to learn about them would be to find someone who works or worked there, although they make employees sign non disclosure agreements, so most wouldn't risk it, but some do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts