How does our cable in Ireland compare?

ranicand

Original poster
Aug 13, 2009
Ireland
I live in Ireland the south Dublin.

Our cable company is UPC and we get 20Mb net and phone.

We only have a small number of HD channels so far.

Here is our channel list how would you folk in the States cope with this?

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_channels_on_UPC_Ireland"]List of channels on UPC Ireland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Also here is our cable company website.

UPC Ireland - TV, Broadband and Phone Service from Chorus ntl

Interesting profile of TV programming. Understand that satellite companies are stronger in the US (not that they dominate cable). 20MB/sec is an extra-cost internet option on CV. The Asian and Hispanic influence is much stronger in the US, too (adaptations of Japanese programs, channels for Chinese, Latin-American and Indian speakers, etc.). We also have a sprinklings of Mediterranean, African, Russian and Brazilian programming, too. As to HD, most of those Los Angeles-based networks (NBC, Disney, Discovery, MTV, FOX-Sky, etc.) offer non-HD and HD versions of their programming to cable. A lot of people here still watch olde-style NTSC versions of those channels.
What I don't see here is CBS & ABC, our #1 and #4 networks. Perhaps their programming is available on RTE & BBC. If I recall correctly, our PBS stuff is mostly picked up by BBC. I don't see the Canadian programming (Noggin for kids) and other stuff that Nickelodeon run for the younger-folks.

Interesting profile of TV programming. Understand that satellite companies are stronger in the US (not that they dominate cable). 20MB/sec is an extra-cost internet option on CV. The Asian and Hispanic influence is much stronger in the US, too (adaptations of Japanese programs, channels for Chinese, Latin-American and Indian speakers, etc.). We also have a sprinklings of Mediterranean, African, Russian and Brazilian programming, too. As to HD, most of those Los Angeles-based networks (NBC, Disney, Discovery, MTV, FOX-Sky, etc.) offer non-HD and HD versions of their programming to cable. A lot of people here still watch olde-style NTSC versions of those channels.
What I don't see here is CBS & ABC, our #1 and #4 networks. Perhaps their programming is available on RTE & BBC. If I recall correctly, our PBS stuff is mostly picked up by BBC. I don't see the Canadian programming (Noggin for kids) and other stuff that Nickelodeon run for the younger-folks.

Yes RTE is our main network and BBC is the main one for the UK which we can watch.

Non HD channels here are in Pal not NTSC so our picture on SD was never as bad.
All our channels are in English except for one in Irish and one in French.

And yes RTE and BBC does carry some of your main network stuff like ER and that kind of stuff.

ER is over now my bad.:D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts