How does "PIP" work on a 622?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

shortspark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
texas
I have a 622vip and can't get the picture in picture to work. Here is what I do and maybe someone can tell me what I am doing wrong. I turn the receiver on and put it to channel X. Then I turn it to channel Y. When I hit the "return" button on my remote, I can go back and forth between X and Y with no problem. But when I hit PIP, expecting to get X and Y on the split screen, I get some other channel. I get X on one side of the screen but I get some other channel (not Y) on the other side of the screen. Something is wrong but I don't know how to figure it out.

I have a 622vip and can't get the picture in picture to work. Here is what I do and maybe someone can tell me what I am doing wrong. I turn the receiver on and put it to channel X. Then I turn it to channel Y. When I hit the "return" button on my remote, I can go back and forth between X and Y with no problem. But when I hit PIP, expecting to get X and Y on the split screen, I get some other channel. I get X on one side of the screen but I get some other channel (not Y) on the other side of the screen. Something is wrong but I don't know how to figure it out.

Do you have the receiver in Single or Dual Mode?
Here is some info on it, it's the same for the 622.

The 625 DVR has two operating modes. Single and Dual Mode. In Single Mode the 625 can be used as a dual tuner DVR with full control of both tuners from one remote. In Single Mode, you can switch between the tuners, or press "PIP" on the remote use the built in "Picture in Picture" feature. Press Swap and the two images will swap places. Of Course you also have Full DVR control over both tuners. The Extra Bonus of the 625 is you can also use the receiver in Single Mode from the TV2 location. It would not be a good idea to operate the system in Single Mode while two people are trying to use the receiver in two locations, remote wars will quickly escalate.​
For true two room use by two views, switch the unit into Dual Mode (change modes by pushing a button on the front panel). In Dual Mode both viewers have complete control over their own tuner. Each person can record or watch with out affecting the other person.
In Dual Mode you will not be able to watch one channel while recording another if two people are using the system at two locations. If only TV is being watching in one room, and the viewer presses record to record a channel, they are given the option to send the recording request to the OTHER tuner.​

Thanks, but I since I am the only one in the house I use only single mode. Therefore, I get the same picture on both tv1 and tv2, except 1 is in HD and 2 is in SD. So, according to what you said, I should have full control of both tuners with either remote. But I still can't get Y and X to display on my split screen.

Options on how to change it:
Press swap and then change that channel. Now swap back and you have both of them available.

Another option, press the right arrow button and then scroll to the channel that you want to be in the smaller picture. Press the pip button to select it.

Then you can switch back and forth.

press swap. tune to the channel you want (Y). press swap again. tune to the channel you want (X). press PIP
VOILA!

caution: if the 'back' tuner is on an OTA channel and the signal drops off, you may get a message that the satellite signal has been lost. just swap to it and tune to a different channel then swap back.

The suggestions make sense but nothing works. I have the receiver on channel 311 (MAX), that is my "X" channel. But no matter what I do, the pip channel "Y" is stuck on 379 (Retro). I have on Retro now in full, normal screen and punch in channel 311. It changes to 311. I now go to pip and the split screen shows 311 and the little pip screen shows 379, which is what I expect. Now, I swap to make 379 the larger screen with 311 now in the little box. I punch in a music channel (964). When I hit pip again I still get that Retro channel 379. I can't get rid of it no matter what I do. This is really a dumb way of having pip. You should be able to go from one channel to another, like the return button does.

The suggestions make sense but nothing works. I have the receiver on channel 311 (MAX), that is my "X" channel. But no matter what I do, the pip channel "Y" is stuck on 379 (Retro). I have on Retro now in full, normal screen and punch in channel 311. It changes to 311. I now go to pip and the split screen shows 311 and the little pip screen shows 379, which is what I expect. Now, I swap to make 379 the larger screen with 311 now in the little box. I punch in a music channel (964). When I hit pip again I still get that Retro channel 379. I can't get rid of it no matter what I do. This is really a dumb way of having pip. You should be able to go from one channel to another, like the return button does.

Reset your box then follow what I do.

Here is how I do it.

*Switch the receiver to single mode;
*tune to one channel(say CNN);
*press PIP(you get a new channel in the lower corner);
*If you want to change the smaller picture, press swap, enter new channel, press swap again

Nothing dumb about that.. if you don't like the position, you can mess with the position button.

I think I may have found the problem. For some reason my receiver won't let me change the channel selection and that ability has been somehow disabled. When I do what wcnghj suggests I get a pop up on the screen that says changing channel will take you out of pip and take you to live tv. It has three options, yes-cancel-no. I hit yes and the first and second channels simply swap positions. So, for some reason that pop up prevents me from getting the channels on I want in the little window because it takes you out of pip mode before it has a chance to kick in. I still say this is at least an awkward way of doing things.

I think I may have found the problem. For some reason my receiver won't let me change the channel selection and that ability has been somehow disabled. When I do what wcnghj suggests I get a pop up on the screen that says changing channel will take you out of pip and take you to live tv. It has three options, yes-cancel-no. I hit yes and the first and second channels simply swap positions. So, for some reason that pop up prevents me from getting the channels on I want in the little window because it takes you out of pip mode before it has a chance to kick in. I still say this is at least an awkward way of doing things.

OK what is happening is for some reason your receiver is not in "Live TV" mode when you are trying to do this,so before you try to make the "swap" press the "Live TV" button each time before you do the "swap" OK?.It sounds like your 622 is having "Live TV" problems because as long as you do not go"backwards" with your DVR,it should be in"Live TV" mode .

The way your 622 is acting is awkward that's because it's not normally supposed to do that.My 625 works each time without having to press the"Live TV" button.So if you have the Dish Protection Plan I would suggest a replacement.Unless it doesn't bother you to always press the"Live TV" button before you "swap".Good Luck!:)

Also, if you are recording, one or both tuners will be locked to a channel and put up the pop-up message.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts