How does the hopper connect?

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
I watched a video about the hopper and it showed 3 ways the Internet connects to it and the joeys. Since my router is in the other room then the Ethernet option will not work. I seen they could run a cable to your router? I really wanna avoid paying '$$ to get a wireless adaptor.

Hard wire to the hopper would be best but if your only using DSL it would just give it better axx to the LAN. If you have 50-300mbs service it is far better to hardwire it Vs wifi or HIP

I'm on wifi on 15 mps so maybe an adapter would work best for me ? How does HIP work?
AFAIK, it connects to a Joey and your router, sending the IP signal over the coax to your Hopper. You would have to have a Joey close enough to your router to use it.

dare2be said:
AFAIK, it connects to a Joey and your router, sending the IP signal over the coax to your Hopper. You would have to have a Joey close enough to your router to use it.

When you say you need a Joey close enough, how close? The router is in our spare bedroom and the Joey will be in our master bedroom . If it needs to be in the same room then I'll have to get a wireless adaptor or see If dish can throw one in for me.

Right now I have a 722k DVr connected wirelessly without an adaptor so does the hopper require a wireless adapter if the router is not close enough? I mean the router is in the spare bedroom and the current DVr is literally in the living room. I dont need the dish guy going through the hopper installation and saying " oh I need to run an Ethernet cable from the hopper to your router" or saying you need a wireless adapter" so without any Internet connection does the hopper not work??

The use of power line devices are not a good idea if your ever going to have a faster speed internet then 5mbps. usage of hic slows it down just a little but most wont notice unless they are pushing the limits of the system .

The use of power line devices are not a good idea if your ever going to have a faster speed internet then 5mbps. usage of hic slows it down just a little but most wont notice unless they are pushing the limits of the system .

i have DSL with 12 mbytes/sec download and use powerline/homeplug, and i get on average 20-25 mbyte/sec flow over powerline (connection to my router). its as fast as hardwired for me anyway and as long as its faster than my dsl i love it.