How does the new Toshiba compare to the Oppo as an upconverting DVD player

Paradox-SJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
San Jose, California
I was/am considering getting an upconverting DVD player Oppo but thought I would hold off until the toshiba came out. If it does a killer job at upconverting as well as HD material...then its a easy decision with the limited HDDVD material available at this time.

So would you spend 200.00 on the Oppo or apply the 200. 00 to the Toshiba?

Don't know about the Oppo, but the up-converting quality on the HD Toshiba is a lot better then my Zenith 318 ( which is still quite good via component).

Some early reviews have it slightly better than the Oppo. I have the Oppo which I think is fantastic, and I am waiting for my Toshiba to arrive. I'll keep my Oppo for multi-region/PAL/Divx capability.

I have the OPPO and am very pleased with it. One thing to consider if going HD-DVD is how much material is out there now? Also it's going to take time to decide who will have the winning format. I haven't seen HD-DVD or Blu-Ray on display yet to compare to the OPPO. But I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between HBO-HD and my OPPO.

8/2- I've had my HD-A1 for two days now and I give it the edge over the OPPO for upconverting. OPPO has very good PQ and loads faster and the multi-region capability is great. But doing a side by side comparison using the opening scenes (both at 1081i) of Star Wars III the HD-A1 has more detail and clarity.

Last edited:
cal87 said:
Some early reviews have it slightly better than the Oppo. I have the Oppo which I think is fantastic, and I am waiting for my Toshiba to arrive. I'll keep my Oppo for multi-region/PAL/Divx capability.

Make sure to give us a head to head comparison when you get your new toy

Can't do a comparison as I returned the Oppo after about 3wks, but IMO the HD-A1's upconversion is at least on-par with the Oppo, if not better via 1080i/HDMI out. Biggest thing I like vs the Oppo is I have yet to see any macroblocking on discs that the Oppo gave me problems with, leading me to return it (Alien, The Mummy are two big offenders for me).

I am quite happy with the HD-A1 so far, even tho I only have one HD DVD (Serenity) :). Doom, Chronos and Apollo 13 to arrive next week :):)

I got tired of waiting for my order. I was just able to pick up the HD-D1 from my local Wal-Mart.

I don't think it looks as nice as the A1. I'll have to take a closer look at the display model at BB to decide for sure. For now, I think the D1 goes back as soon as I receive my A1.:D The A1 was about $90 cheaper as well.

I popped in Serenity, which I also picked up at WM. It is the only title I have for now, as my others are in transit. Only watched it for a few minutes, but the picture was incredible.

I tried a few SD DVDs, and the picture does appear to be noticably better on my display - 50" Sony Plasma - versus the Oppo. I wasn't able to do a comparison, but I know the movies well enough to definitely say that the Toshiba upconverts better than the Oppo on my display. My wife noticed it immediately as well.

The kids wanted to watch A Bug's Life, so that ends my evaluation for now.:mad:

I moved the Oppo up to my LCD in my bedroom to replace my old el cheapo (actually it was an old el freebie'o) DVD player. This is the first time I've had it hooked up there. Big improvement there as well. So overall, I am very pleased.
I'll try it out some more after the kids are asleep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)