How does your HD compare to DVD ?

ride525

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
It's still about 45 days I guess until I'll be able to get a 811 receiver.

So just wondering how those of you that are able to get HD think of the quality? What about OTA?

How does it compare to DVD?

Thanks,

Jeff

Well that depends on the DVD Player and what you are watching. I have a Samsung DVD-HD931 which has a DVI output so my DVD's look great (it actually scales a DVD up to 720p/1080i). My old Sony DVD was good, but I would notice that it didn't look as good as HDTV. Now OTH and Sat both look the same to me. ESPN/ABC don't seem to look as good as CBS, but its close enough that most people can't tell the difference. ESPN/ABC does look better than any DVD IMO.

The jump from DVD to HDTV is not as great as it was from VHS to DVD, but I still smile while watching a baseball game.

People with HDTV capture cards, often post DVD vs HDTV side by side screen shots over at AVS. HDTV does have better details. For me its the colors that really bring HDTV out ahead of NTSC.

James said:
Well that depends on the DVD Player and what you are watching. I have a Samsung DVD-HD931 which has a DVI output so my DVD's look great (it actually scales a DVD up to 720p/1080i). My old Sony DVD was good, but I would notice that it didn't look as good as HDTV. Now OTH and Sat both look the same to me. ESPN/ABC don't seem to look as good as CBS, but its close enough that most people can't tell the difference. ESPN/ABC does look better than any DVD IMO.

The jump from DVD to HDTV is not as great as it was from VHS to DVD, but I still smile while watching a baseball game.

I have had OTA HD for about a year or so. I agree with much of what James posted. CBS shows, especially CSI are quite stunning. As good as the demo's in the stores. ABC however, is not quite that quality. I saw a post where someone said they had trouble telling the difference on some ABC shows between OTA analog, and OTA HD. I actually agree. My DVD player (panasonic RP82) has a superb picture. CBS HD is easily even better, ABC HD only marginally so. Some movies on these two networks can look fantastic, others somewhat less than fantastic.

I think the key thing to remember with HD broadcasts is that a lot of the PQ is dependant on the source material and the transfer methods (if any). As stated by many, . . . some shows/movies are fantastic while others are IMHO, not much better than the DVD.

Any show shot with native HD video is just outstanding. These will tend to be the sports events, award shows and other live broadcasts. Some of the sporting events are just amazing!!! After those come some of the TV shows. For these it comes down to how the show was originally captured and then made available for HD broadcast. Some shows still capture with film and go through a conversion, others are starting to capture with digital equipment. As stated, the CSI shows are just stunning, . . . makes you squirm a bit during the autopsies. Most movies also go through a conversion, so again it comes down to how it was captured and the conversion process. Star Wars Ep II (captured digitally) was breathtaking in HD (much better than the DVD IMHO, and the DVD was outstanding as well), while others are not much better. One final note, having DD 5.1 tied in with some of the broadcasts completes the picture. It really is amazing to me how much of a show or movie is not visual at all, but is simply sound. Recent example, . . . the US Open tennis, . . . I really felt like I was sitting in the stands!

Bottom line, all the HD equipment is getting better, . . . . all the way from the source to the viewer. Like all technology in its early life, there is a long way it will go, . . . and of course we will benefit. :)

I was impressed with the US Open. Our CBS here in Phoenix used that to launch their HDTV signal.

I've found that live events such as Sports or the Grammys have much more of a WOW factor than filmed material that has been HD'd.

James said:
Well that depends on the DVD Player and what you are watching. I have a Samsung DVD-HD931 which has a DVI output so my DVD's look great (it actually scales a DVD up to 720p/1080i). My old Sony DVD was good, but I would notice that it didn't look as good as HDTV. Now OTH and Sat both look the same to me.

I have a Sony 50in GrandWega HDTV. It turns my Toshiba DVD 480i to 480p via component. Depending on the DVD, some movies look just as good as any of the OTA HD content. I do admit MNF on ABC is quite stunning ot watch.
Have you compared the Samsung HD931 to any other progressive scan DVD??? Is it really better?
I have only 1 DVI input on the Sony & I am reserving it for the upcoming 921!

Robert :?

For a direct comparison, the OTA HD feed of Alias has much better detail, better black levels and better color than the new DVD season one release...

James said:

James,

Do you have to use the DVI output on it to upscale it to HD resolutions or can you do the same thing with analog component?

Unthinkable said:
James,

Do you have to use the DVI output on it to upscale it to HD resolutions or can you do the same thing with analog component?
No idea since I use the DVI output.

John Walsh said:
you guys are making it real hard to wait for an HD reciever

I'm with you on that one John, I couldn't take it anymore and decided to go with HDTV without digital on Comcast. The price was right for me, it only added $3 to my highspeed internet bill. And I get to watch some HDTV while I wait for a 921.

Just watching any show in HDTV is better than SD. I've watch a few movies on HBO-HD and they seem better detailed than what I get out of my progressive scan DVD player (which only output 720p). I just love watching the ESPN-HD sunday night NFL game and MNF on ABC. I just wish I could see a show from CBS, but Comcast seems to have issues with their contract in some places.

I dont know of any Comcast that has CBS on in HD.

Here in CT we get NBC (which is the only way to see WVIT in HD as their Digital Tower is not online yet) and PBS (also not online OTA in Digital) but not CBS or ABC here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)