How far can I "see" from 87.7 W???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bama

Original poster
Apr 8, 2005
North-West, Alabama
Just wondering on the Ku band what my furtherest (is that a word, or just a southern thang?) satellites east to west with a 39" dish and a 1.2 motor? Thanks, I'll be putting up my motor this week and adjusting for the whole Clarke belt (man, I want a c/ku set up bad!) and would like to know how far to be looking. And, oh yeah if it helps I'm 34.7 latitude in Alabama! THANKS AGAIN YALL!

LoL! I think the word you were looking for was farthest.

Depending on how high up you are mounted (for elevation issues) and the amount of trees, building or hills, you should be good for 61w-160w for sure. http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html

Here is a great read: http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistKuBandUS.html

You might be able to try down to 43w depending on the spot beams and once again your ability to hit lower elevations without blockage.

From 87 degrees your limits would be 27w to 147w. Provided your dish can go down to an elevation of 10 degrees and there isn't any obstruction.

BTW the height you mount a dish isn't going to make that much difference unless the obstructing is rather close. If it is something a mile or two away you will need to mount your dish several hundred feet high. To actually change your elevation so that you are able to say see farther east than 27w you would need to mount your dish several miles high :)

Well, according to the USGS (geographic survey) I am missing all obstructions since I live in a fairly flat part of Alabama and I am locally rather highup when "looking" far east or west there aren't any major things out there. ie... Mountains, etc... So, maybe I'll get further then I think? Who knows! That and I'm on top of the only two story house nearby, along with the highest point in my city. We'll see... But, if I can see to about 150ish West from 87 long. then why couldn't I see to say 20ish East? Please explain, is it the transponders aren't beaming towards CONUS? (continital US)

H2H Motors

H2H Motors will allow you to see 75degrees E to 75degrees W from your True South Satellite. If your's is 87.7, then it should go East to 12.7 and West to 162.7. Now the H2H stands for Horizon to Horizon, but that is only if your turn it manually and not electrically. True South has to be on TOP of your Arc in order to get those Sats. If it isn't, then that one is probably the only one you'll get in decent. Good Luck ;)

Same here (MN.) 30-148w no problems! But I am sure I can get a bit further from my roof to each side of the Clarke Belt with a fixed dish! (40" Primestar)

So what you are saying Iceberg and Pete is you can both see the following satellites?

30.0 - Hispasat 1C
30.0 - Hispasat 1D
31.5 - Intelsat 801
34.5 - Intelsat 903
37.5 - AMC 12
37.5 - Telstar 11
40.5 - NSS 806
43.0 - PAS 6B
43.0 - PAS 3R
45.0 - PAS 1R
50.0 - Intelsat 705
53.0 - Intelsat 707
55.5 - Intelsat 805
58.0 - PAS 9
61.0 - Amazonas

How clear are the channels?
How many FTA channels are there available on these satellites?

Dave

I can see from 30w (Hispasat 1) all the way to 148w (Echo 1/2)
with my motorised dish, if I use a fixed dish I can get even further on each side of the arc.

With digital satellite its a GREAT picture or NO picture so all the channels look the same. On the other hand GARBAGE in = GARBAGE out so if the channels are playing old scratchy movies the picture will look bad. Same if the channel owners are broadcasting on the cheap, then they do not use as much bandwidth with the result being that the picture looks more like a computer picture than a TV picture.

Yes we can see those satellites but some may be C band (Need a 10' dish)
And some are not broadcasting in this direction, for example they may be pointing their beams towards South America only. To receive a satellite signal you have to be able to see the satellite above the horizon and the satellite has to be broadcasting in your direction.

If you have a look at the below link, way over to the right it says CONUS, thats the beam column. If you have a look at Lyngsat and click on a channels beam you will see if it is pointing in your direction.

KU channels have a five digit Frequency (30" dish)
C Band channels have a four digit Frequency (10' dish)

Hope this helps : )

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts