How far from Minneapolis can you be?

sikma

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 7, 2005
Dish Farm Up North
I'm soon to get my tv room completed and will be getting an plasma HDTV with a built-in tuner..............question is, can you folks post results on getting OTA digital signals from the Minneapolis market (and how far away you are from the Shoreview towers). I can get them currently on analog with my rooftop Menards antenna, so will it work for digital?

how good of analog do you get now?

I was amazed what I could get with my simple Rat Shack antenna. I'm in Shakopee (SW of Mpls..opposite side of TC...oh 30 miles or so as the crow flies) and all my digital channels are 83-91% on my Dish 811

Even Pax, which has a tower near St Cloud (Big Lake) and is 90 degrees from the rest, I get at a 76-77%

I get 2,4,5,9,11 crystal-clear. 17-snowy 23-good, but not crystal
29-fair 41-hardy at all unless I rotate (manually) my antenna 45-good

I about 30 miles (if the old crow can take flight) N/E from Shoreview.

17 analog is a bugger for me too
23 is good
29 is decent
41 sucks
45 is good

I think you should be fine. I was worried with my dinky antenna and it worked. Thing to realize is right now all the digital channels are on UHF. They map to the right channel when they scan in (5's digital is 50 but it maps to 5-1 & 5-2)

If you're 30 miles NE you don't have to have the signals go through Mpls like I do :)

I am about 5 miles (as the crow flies) from the Shoreview towers in New Brighton. My Zenith silver sensor indoor antenna works great on all digital locals except 41 from Big Lake (that freezes up once in a while) not that i would watch 41 anyway

I'm in Prior Lake and have a Square Shooter SS2000 on the roof pointing right into a couple of trees. I get all the Shoreview channels and the 41's out of St. Cloud in the range of 75-95% on the Dish 622. I think I am 28 miles from Shoreview if I remember from antennaweb.org

Correct, all within 30 miles and at the same basic heading, except one, KPXM-DT. How well does that one come in for you?

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 215
KPXM is 90 degrees away from the other towers from where I am in Shakopee (Prior lake is next door)

all the stations are NE of Mpls but KPXM is NW. Its just Pax so no biggie for me :)

Is PAX going to last much longer? Are they, or weren't they going to be sold to be a F/T infomercial thing or something? Or is that something that will be a case by case in each maket?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)