How far in your DMA

ralfyguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 17, 2005
McAlester, Oklahoma
I was wondering about this:

Is it lawful, that if you live in a DMA like mine (Tulsa/OK), and the towers are located just outside of Tulsa, which means it is about 90 miles north of me, which makes it necessary to have a big ass antenna setup to get any channels at all?
I mean doesn't the FCC require that a individual has the ability, with a appropriate "normal" kind of hardware, to receive the local news, without having to set up the best hardware money can buy, which still doesn't guarantee flawless recveption, especially during the summer, that I still get cut-outs? Shouldn't it be required for the fact, that anything beyond 60 miles on UHF is anything but luck? If that's the case, then Tulsa shouldn't be my DMA, or they should be required to install a repeater half way down here. Is there any FCC requirement like that?

I may be way off base here but I don't think DMA's and the FCC are related. DMA's are a creation of the NAB, MARKETING areas. The FCC only assigns frequencies to potential stations in a certain location. If no one wants to serve you where you live - you get nuttin'.

ralfyguy said:
I mean doesn't the FCC require that a individual has the ability, with a appropriate "normal" kind of hardware, without having to set up the best hardware money can buy...
Define "normal hardware" or "best hardware". If they dictate that if the signal can be rec'd with a 75' tower and a 12' long antenna, what would you do ?? First, you want them to make up some rules then you'd complain that the rules are unrealistic.
If that's the case, then Tulsa shouldn't be my DMA, or they should be required to install a repeater half way down here.
Install a repeater ?? Now you're talking like stations are "required" to make their signals reach you. Sure, they'd love it if they did but they aren't going to go to extreme measures.

hall said:
Define "normal hardware" or "best hardware". If they dictate that if the signal can be rec'd with a 75' tower and a 12' long antenna, what would you do ?? First, you want them to make up some rules then you'd complain that the rules are unrealistic.
Install a repeater ?? Now you're talking like stations are "required" to make their signals reach you. Sure, they'd love it if they did but they aren't going to go to extreme measures.
No the point is that the stations in my DMA are broadcasting UHF signals, and they are about 90 miles away from me. UHF signals with anything beyond 60 miles is nothing but luck, even with the best equipment available. Anything beyond 60 miles for UHF, especially with difficult terrain in between is almost impossible according to the laws of physics, no matter how good your equipment is. That's my point. Too much distance. You almost solely rely on the tropospheric ducting to get anything at all. Any expert in this matter will confirm this. For example in summer, when the weather and air streams from the south, the Gulf Of Mexico, the channels are almost unwatchable, until it gets Fall again, and the weather and air comes from the West or North it's kinda OK. But as it seems, Tulsa market it big enough itself, they don't need the people from down south. My city has a population of 40,000, so I don't really live in the boonies. If they don't need them, then that's OK. Can't help it then. There's a PBS station 30 miles northy of me with only that channel broadcasting. And they have over 1000 ft tower. Wouldn't hurt them to share that tower for a repeater.

Most repeaters are still analog. I don't think the FCC has set a date for repeaters to go digital, much less HD.

Jim5506 said:
Most repeaters are still analog. I don't think the FCC has set a date for repeaters to go digital, much less HD.
Jim I see you have an Accurian, a Samsung and a 622. How do hey compare on OTA? Which one is the best in pulling in signals?

The real problem in your situation is the FCC. They are not issuing new licenses for repeaters or new stations (other than existing stations transitioning to digital). The new station "freeze" is on until the transition to digital is complete, so don't look for any change in that for a few years. I have had much better luck with UHF reception with a good quality antenna mounted at roof level. I have found the coverage maps for stations on the FCC website to be very conservative. I do share your frustration with how certain stations serve more distant areas. In our market there is a full power network affiliate that claims, "Our news and public service policy is to serve the immediate metropolitan area."

HD DVR for OTA?

Indoor HD antenna - 30 mile range?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)