Indoor HD antenna - 30 mile range?

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
I am looking at getting an antenna for hdtv. The farthest tranmitter is 29.5 miles away. Almost all the stations are at 111 degrees, one is at 99 degrees and one is at 150 degrees. Any indoor antennas that might work? If not, then how about any recommendations for an outdoor? I would like to keep size and cost down. Thanks!

iafirebuff said:
I am looking at getting an antenna for hdtv. The farthest tranmitter is 29.5 miles away. Almost all the stations are at 111 degrees, one is at 99 degrees and one is at 150 degrees. Any indoor antennas that might work? If not, then how about any recommendations for an outdoor? I would like to keep size and cost down. Thanks!

The CM4228 is the best bang for the buck IMHO.

teamerickson said:
The CM4221 might work also and is a lot smaller. You're not to far from the transmitters.

That works too... but if you are getting marginal signal you'll always be thinking... "Should I have gotten the CM4228?" ;) Decisions...decisions...

The answer to your question depends on where you are, and if you have VHF as well as UHF stations. Go to www.anrennaweb.org and input your address (not just your zip code). Then post the results here and you will get good advice.

Antennaweb shows my stations are all yellow, the farthest being shy of 30 miles, and about a 51 degree spread. Although 3 or 4 stations are all within a few degrees. I would prefer an indoor antenna, but will do an outdoor if that is needed.

You could try a Silver Sensor as suggested, and see what you get. Then if that won't work we could suggest something else. But a 51 degree spread might be a problem, the better the antenna then typically the narrower the beamwidth.

Thanks all! I think I will try an indoor antenna, and see how it works. I already have 4 satellite dishes around my yard, so I would like to not have to put anything else up outside :)

iafirebuff said:
Thanks all! I think I will try an indoor antenna, and see how it works. I already have 4 satellite dishes around my yard, so I would like to not have to put anything else up outside :)

I would have a different approach. I would purchase an outdoor antenna and put it indoors. I would then compare an outdoor temp mount with the indoor mount and determine which is needed.

iafirebuff said:
I have found an outdoor that is interesting - an Audiovox HDTVo. About $80, mounts outside. Still researching :)

Unless your Dishes( whichever one you would use?) are pointed right at your OTA Tower Locations....that piece of Fancy Wire is Useless !!

And to add... if your Dishes are mounted in your Yard............not high enough for this to do much good !

12618402_125.jpg

Last edited:
That antenna comes with a mount like the dishes do. It does not mount to the dish. It is pricey, cheapest I found was $80. I think I will just get a small uhf or combo outdoor antenna for $25-$35 and throw that up. It worked well before. I hate to spend what the other antennas cost.

I only know the rudimetaries of HDTV reception and so I was wondering how far a paper clip can get you on a HDTV receiver. The one I bought (shipping in progress) is the DirecTV Hughes HTL-HD; I plan on using it only as an OTA receiver. Would plugging a paper clip get me reception for HDTV channels (two stations are located 2 miles away while the rest are located 22 miles)?

The reason I am asking is that I have used bunny ears in the past on an analog TV (Jensen Amplified Antenna from Target) and it has only gotten me fuzzy analog reception back in Dallas. I moved and I have yet to test my receiver so I was wondering if I could ask this somewhat pre-mature question just to get a heads-up. Thanks in advanced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts