How far is too far?

Jimmy J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Wallingford, VT.
Just wondering how far is too far in order to recieve a HDTV signal? Is it possible to recieve a signal nearly 70 miles away? If so, would an antenna with a larger boom and higher number of elements help in reception? I'm toying with the idea of putting up a UHF antenna and aiming it at a market 70 miles away in Albany, Troy, Schenectady NY. Pretty much a straight shot from my locale and only one hill between us and the towers.

80 miles is far. You will need the highest gain and an amp, It will have to be very high. Either a really tall tower or you must live on a mountain with nothing between you. 60 miles is usually tops becasue of the curvature of the earth.
Lookk at this: http://www.antennasdirect.com/LongRangeAntennas.htm

A few tips about the 91XG:

It is one of the highest gain UHF antennas made, but it is also very directional.

If you live more than 60 miles from the transmitters, you must get as much
elevation on the antenna as possible. Even though the 91XG has great gain,
it cannot pick up signals blocked by the curvature of the earth.

Kevinw said:
80 miles is far. You will need the highest gain and an amp, It will have to be very high. Either a really tall tower or you must live on a mountain with nothing between you. 60 miles is usually tops becasue of the curvature of the earth.
Lookk at this: http://www.antennasdirect.com/LongRangeAntennas.htm

Thanx Kevin, I'll be sure to take that into consideration when & if I decide to try it.

Most of the HDTV stations are broadcasting in the UHF band but they will eventually come back down to VHF.

On a personal not I am able to pick stations 80 miles away using a channel master 4228 and 7777 preamp. So there is hope

I am using a indoor amplified antenna, with 45db gain for VHF and 35db gain on UHF(RCA ANT1250) hooked to my Dish 811, and though I am not getting every channel, the best ones that I am getting are about 35 miles west and around 60 miles south of me with 80% plus signal strength on the CBS, NBC, Fox, WB, PAX, and a Independent channel. What is ironic is the channels closer to me (around 40 miles east) are locking in with lower signal strength.(61% to 70% for the ones locking in, but most are 49%, or not locking in)

But, it would depend on your area!

There is only two VHF DTV channels in my area (neither lock in), but I have several UHF channels that don't either and they come from the same area as the ones that do, so either I am experiencing multipathing or their broadcast signal is not strong. I don't know, so be aware of these issues, multipathing and low power!

Thanx Carl, Paradox, & Tony. So there is hope for getting "something" ota in HD, even though it's not necessarily in my market arera. :D

Carl, LOVE the link you pointed out. Gives me a better idea of where I should try pointing towards. :yes Wait a minute, I just checked the site again. Is that where the station is, or where their towers are?

My main goal at this point is to get any HD FOX signal that I can. DishNet has made it pretty clear that they will not be providing any HD FOX signal, at least in my area, for quite some time. And, FOX holds the rights to a vast majority of the NFL coverage. At least the major games, like the SUPERBOWL!

You wanna talk about about a major letdown. Having to watch the sd signal of the WORLD SERIES, & seeing that damn "Brought to you in High Def...where available." :mad:

Paradox-SJ said:
Most of the HDTV stations are broadcasting in the UHF band but they will eventually come back down to VHF.

On a personal not I am able to pick stations 80 miles away using a channel master 4228 and 7777 preamp. So there is hope

So, does that mean if you use a UHF ant., then you'll have to replace it with another VHF?

Jimmy J said:
I'm toying with the idea of putting up a UHF antenna and aiming it at a market 70 miles away in Albany, Troy, Schenectady NY. Pretty much a straight shot from my locale and only one hill between us and the towers.

You may also consider a rotor as well. Most good UHF antennas are highly directional.

The channel info link I provided gives coordinates for the antennas, but unless you work well with that stuff, it isn't very useful to the average TV antenna user. That link is mainly for power and antenna height. Use antennaweb.org for get the tower azimuths from your location.

I reliably receive programming from three DMAs: 51+, 53+ and 55+ miles away. I also receive programming from Baltimore (90+ miles), but only reliably during the evening hours, from March-October, when tropospheric conditions are more favorable. My antennas are roof mounted and my property is on par with the surrounding area (do not live in an elevated area). Although reception from 70 miles is certainly possible, your biggest problem will be with reliability. Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts