How important is Skew for a Dish 500 Install... thinking of using a VOMM Dish

gireesh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
The VOOM dish I have does not have skew plate. I want to move 110 and 119 from the SuperDish to the smaller VOOM dish, as I am decommissioning the SuperDish. I have bought the DPP Twin LNBs, and the Y Adapater. The question is, if don't skew the dish, what is going to happen? I am on 97W Longitude. The books call for a skew of 115 degrees. Can anyone with a Dish500 tell me which way a skew of 115 will incline the dish from the vertical? I am assuming 25 degrees, but to the right or left, looking from the back of the dish?

The VOOM dish is 24"x27" quite larger than the Dish 500. So will it provide adequate signal without skewing, from both satellites?

If your Dish500 skew is 90 it isn't important at all. Otherwise you do need to skew the dish. Without skew you will be pointing high for one satellite and low for the other. You will most likely be able to get only one satellite without skew.

JL

I didn't think that V* dishes were that big, but oh well.

I say just use a Dish500 pan - they're basically free.

BUT, if you must continue down this road, as the others have posted, skew is just an angle for the arm. Un-plumb the mast the proper amount. Without a complete understanding of the geometry invlved, this is non-trivial. Experienced installers can mount a mast at all sorts of odd angles and compensate on the fly, but it takes a touch, and without a skew plate, it'd be a real PITA.

They are basically free? How so?

Also, on the SuperDish, the 119 LNB is several inches from the 110 LNB. On Dish 500, they are right next to each other, say may be 2" inches between center of circles. Skew in not important for circular polarized signals, so, we are talking about signal focal points. So, I will be about 0.46" off optimal focus point for each satellite ( x = 2" x tan(25 deg), half of that off for each satellite ). Since neither LNBs can be right at the focal point to begin with, I may be OK.

I will keep you posted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)