How Important is the STB Front Panel Display?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

How Important is the STB Front Panel Alphanumeric Display?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just want to say thanks again to Brian for working toward bring a new receiver to the NA market. This thread has been fun to read and while I am in the camp of just LEDs, ultimately it will be the specifications, on screen display, and stability which will determine sales.

Simplicity is sometimes good

as noted before by another member, Pansat 1500 has one light...green means on...off means off (no color on mine)
I know the 2500 they added the channel number on it

Other video format reception and blind scan features would be the primary driver influencing my purchase, however I have these thoughts.

No display adds the perception of cheap, that as much I hate to admit, I would be influenced by. Maybe it was because my first Uniden UST-9000 showed everything on the front panel, including channel and satellite in 1" high characters anyone could read from across the room.

The other more pertinant piece of advice I have is do NOT use a red/green combo LED for anything. Those of us that are colorblind cannot tell the difference between the two colors. If I am watching the LED, I could tell you that it changed, but that's not sufficient for at a glance indication.

Think military I&C - simple and easy to identify the important indications.

SatelliteAV

Brian,

Seems to me, by the current polling results, that it's going to be difficult to judge what decision to make here. It seems almost perfectly divided.

25% pro, 25% con, 33% on the fence and 17% don't know why you are asking or what you are asking. You should have limited the options to PRO or CON to get people to jump off the fence and commit to their side.

I'd say, from the poll results, that the least expensive route should be followed. You cannot please everyone, but if the consensus is nearly perfectly divided, you cannot lose and you can only gain by going with the least expensive route. If the rest of the options and the functionality of the receiver is of high quality, and the overhead is less, how can you argue the point otherwise? Go with your logic and I believe you will be doing right.

RADAR

Based on the results from the poll, we may go with the our original concept and sell a 7' wood console version with crushed green velvet grill covers, pull out electronics drawer with legacy compatibility for 45s, 33s, 78s, 8 track, cassette, and maybe video discs..... LOL!

But seriously, you are right. At this point the voting is evenly split, but the posts are tending to favor the LED indicators. I expected to see more division on the vote.

Radar,

Brian might be asking out of necessity, and regardless of own preferences. :) On a flip side, leaving viewers, especially those buying his certain systems designed for a particular audience (not necessarily FTA enthusiasts), may backfire in terms of less convenient STB use accumulating over daily doses to finally prompt choosing a different model. When going to bed, an average user would probably switch TV Off first (to avoid audio bursts), then put an STB to Standby. Next day he & she would probably do the opposite in reverse sequence. In both scenarios the STB Display is the only source of info, whether equipment is working properly and to what channel tuned. Also, if you have a motor, looking at channel number on STB display, one would see right away if the motor is going to turn now - and in some cases there is a need to avoid that by changing a channel quickly. Similar situations occur when setting up the STB or updating firmware. I'd opt out of equipment that ain't clearly indicate its status and channel number. :)

I know that it isn't quite the same, but my "pizza pan dish" receiver has absolutely no front display on it. Just a light to indicate whether the power is on, and a light to indicate whether the PVR is recording or not. I really don't see the need for a display on the box other than a power indicator.

A politician can prove anything with enough statistics:

I see the two middle categories as both being negative, and splitting the vote.
That's twice the count as the 'must-have' posters. - :rolleyes:

I have 2 newer TV's. Same brand and model, They have a bright blue LED that is ON when the TV is OFF. LED is OFF when the TV is ON. This works very well in the living room. While viewing the LED is off and doesn't distract. And at night, it's a perfect night light.
This works very poorly in the bedroom. It's so bright, you close your eyes, and you'd swear you're in daylight. It's covered with two layers of electrical tape.
Moral - you can't please everyone, or just one person(in this example), with one product.

LOL!!!!

Sorry, my statement should have read:

Isn't simplicity the NEW Bling? Apple products and any other product with an i attached or running ANDROID OS are a perfect examples. ;)

:wave Depends...

Are you planning on using a touch screen panel and eliminate the buttons??? :D

If your going to undercut the OpenBox S9, I suppose you can eliminate a lot of things... but whats the point? That price point and feature set are pretty much covered by them.

OTOH, if your aiming for a "must have" product...:coffee

BTW, if it is a "must have" product your cooking up, and it has "all the necessary features", then maybe you just might want to use an Android type O/S ( my vote would be CyanoGenMOD ) and a touch screen to run this thing. Just throwing that out there ( to further rial up some of the denizens here ) :popcorn

Speaking as someone who has read about the Cyanogen hack, I'd have to disagree.
Skip the touch screen, and give us a wireless mouse; we'll use the TV screen.
Of course, that'd need Honeycomb (latest version of Android 3.0) - ;)

If your going to undercut the OpenBox S9, I suppose you can eliminate a lot of things... but whats the point? That price point and feature set are pretty much covered by them.

He's not trying to undercut the Openbox. I think he's trying to undercut the AZbox though. If he can do that, I'll buy one with no lights on whatsoever!

I see the two middle categories as both being negative, and splitting the vote.
That's twice the count as the 'must-have' posters. - :rolleyes:

And I would like to retract my vote from the "must have" category and put it on the fence with either "I can take it or leave it" or "never use it / do away with it".

I had to do some thinking about that decision, but I have come to the conclusion that satisfies my logic in the end.

RADAR

I would like to see the poll redone - revisitied, with only two choices: MUST HAVE vs DON'T NEED it. I think you will obtain a more accurate and manageable response from us. It forces people like me to get OFF the fence rail.

RADAR

My vote would be DIM led indicators for power and recording(if unit is PVR capable). I hate the bright LEDs that have become all too popular in gadgets these days. I have 2 layers of electrical tape over my router indicators. I dont appreciate the night time dark room psychedelics. Most devices can be operated rather easily with a decent GUI and a well thought out remote control. I also do not need another clock that is never right. If you must put an alphanumeric display of some sort on it, let the user select via menu what items they want displayed ie signal/quality, sat/freq, signal type/sr... Hopefully people understand what I am getting at. If the display is not useful, it is worthless. I voted as a fence sitter but if given only 2 choices I would have gone with the DON'T NEED IT crowd.

Last edited:
A light for on and off is all I need but if it has a display maybe you can make it user selectable, user can have options like a clock, birds orbital location, or spacecrafts name, channel name or channel number displayed.

Are you planning on using a touch screen panel and eliminate the buttons?If your going to undercut the OpenBox S9, I suppose you can eliminate a lot of things... but whats the point? BTW, if it is a "must have" product your cooking up, and it has "all the necessary features", then maybe you just might want to use an Android type O/S and a touch screen to run this thing.

This post gives me an idea that will make everybody happy. Keep the front panel plain and simple, put all the fancy features in a OPTIONAL touch screen remote control! Charge as much as you dare for it, the gadget lovers will step up to the pump. Others can upgrade at a later time.

Pixl

Just keep in mind, mass Remotes communicate with STB only one way. :)

------------

Recalled another reason for a front display: in-door switch troubleshooting. Many ppl now use low cost HDMI Switches btw STBs and TV to hook more equipment to TV. Those are auto switches, they would switch to a signal of the last unit turned ON. But at times, if one has HDMI extenders (say hooking a remote PC or HTPC to the TV), weaker signal is not picked up or switched properly. Resulting in no pic on screen. How would you troubleshoot this, if STB front panel doesn't have a display either? Which unit is failing - I have to resolve this dilemma time-to-time. :) Of course, there're also network extenders, but I'm not sure if they're often used in a typical household with STBs discussed here.

Last edited:
Speaking as someone who has read about the Cyanogen hack, I'd have to disagree.
Skip the touch screen, and give us a wireless mouse; we'll use the TV screen.
Of course, that'd need Honeycomb (latest version of Android 3.0) - ;)

I just thew that out there, because Android is going "closed source". The engineers can fork off any open source that they like.

OTOH, the whole display thing reminded me of just how cheap these things are, and now a days, just how cheap cell phones are... and they use very similar tech to most STBs ;)

Use an Android fork ( pick your flavor ) plug in a OSD app, drivers, etc... for receiver electronics, (multiple) remotes and displays... your there. Oh, and if you stick to the base Android hardware spec you include networking and WiFi, along with GPS and remove the cell phone parts... just think, a sat receiver that actually tells the RIGHT %^&&* time and automatically sets up USALS! :cool:

Oh, AND we get to further rile up some of the purists out there :D

:popcorn

Insider info...... One of my current STB projects is Android.

The supply chain is now full of great powerful chipsets developed for tablets! WHOO HOO! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts