How Important is the STB Front Panel Display?

How Important is the STB Front Panel Alphanumeric Display?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatelliteAV

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 3, 2004
Roseville, CA
How important is the LED / VFD display on the front panel of your STB?

We are moving into the final phase of product development of a new DVBS / S2 set top box and would love your input on a subject that we don't often discuss..... The front panel display.

If your STB featured two LEDs indicating power on / off, remote keystroke entry and signal lock / unlock, would this provide enough information? Do you often reference the display on the front of your satellite receiver? If you do use the display, what information do you want to see?

Personally, I find that I never use the front panel display other than to verify if the STB is on or off. A channel number is nice, the scrolling service name is nice, the clock is nice, the signal meter is nice....... but do I use the front panel? NO. I rely 99.9% on the TV on screen display.

Tell me more about your preferences for the STB front panel display.

I would vote for "keep it simple, keep cost down" I only look at mine when first powering up. The channel display is usless for FTA.

Like others will say the current channel display is useless on most boxes. I would be more interested if it showed the satellite position with the channel (97w 1001). A nice feature would be a display when I am recording to a flash drive with time left or next start time when its in standby.

Channel number is good for trouble shooting the Glorystar system where the absolute channel numbers are consistent . Clock may be useful for for DVR folks - otherwise it is a pain. Best to have a colored light (green or blue) indicating ON. Red OFF indicator is good for determining that the receiver has power. My perspective is from the point of phone support more then my own needs.
Bob

Booting and Power indication is about all I use it for. Just default the video outputs to a NA standard. In case of a boot failure,(and therefore - no video output) make it easily correctable via RS232/USB.

Only for a clock is it useful but displaying the channel name, if I cant remember what channel I am on then I got a problem. :)

I have two AZBoxes. One Elite with the display and an Ultra without and while an LED display isn't something I consider critical to STB operation, IMHO I do think that it cheapens the appearance somewhat when none is there. If the display isn't going to add but a few dollars ($5 or less) to the cost of the receiver then I'd rather have one.

I use the display all the time, especially on sats with lots of radio channels, I rarely even turn the TV on, just boot the box, select the channel number I want, and enjoy. I don't think its necessary to have the VFD like the Azbox Elite has, but the Openbox display is just right. Not too much info, but enough. I do agree, however, ditch the clock if it can't be made to keep the correct time.

if the clock was always accurate it would be usable. If the channel numbers would show up when the remote buttons are pushed then that would be usable - the number push shows on screen but not on display. LED for standby and power on would be all I really need.
OFF TOPIC::
I know a 3 1/2 inch TV display would cost a bunch, but it would have a place in a motor home or other RV or in an off-grid home. A nice package for RVers would be a Flat screen TV with FTA (and Sub.TV) tuner as well as digital and analog OTA and AM and FM with Video off & maybe add a CD/DVD player in the box -- that would run on 12 volt. OK, way off topic and too much of a pipe dream -- but is there a niche for it?

I like it. Shows status of things like recording... Channel names on the panel are useless. IMHO they could have a small display to show critical stuff, sort of like idiot lights in the dash of your vehicle.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)