How Intrusive is Facebook on SatelliteGuys.US?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
Scott,
I notice that the post reaction tool appears to mimic Facebook tools. Looking at the code behind site shows that it is peppered with calls to Facebook javascript, buttons to navigate threads, etc. How much is Facebook paying you for this access?
Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 08.04.40 .png

I do not have a Facebook account, and after their latest invasive moves in accessing your browsing history, bank accounts, etc., I would hope that I was dodging a bullet by not having their apps on my phone. Now I see that all the XenForo Forums are deep in bed with Facebook. Disheartening.

I use SatelliteGuys.US as a way to maintain a social interaction with other Satellite TV users and like minds. Now, I guess I need to reexamine my support and use of this Site.

Edit: this Tweet from Chris G at NASA SpaceFlight triggered this:

Scott,
I notice that the post reaction tool appears to mimic Facebook tools. Looking at the code behind site shows that it is peppered with calls to Facebook javascript, buttons to navigate threads, etc. How much is Facebook paying you for this access?

I do not have a Facebook account, and after their latest invasive moves in accessing your browsing history, bank accounts, etc., I would hope that I was dodging a bullet by not having their apps on my phone. Now I see that all the XenForo Forums are deep in bed with Facebook. Disheartening.

I use SatelliteGuys.US as a way to maintain a social interaction with other Satellite TV users and like minds. Now, I guess I need to reexamine my support and use of this Site.

Edit: this Tweet from Chris G at NASA SpaceFlight triggered this:

Thanks, I just went into my settings and cleared that data, and shut them off for future activity.

By the way, also go into the "Block User" settings, and type in the word "Fact Check". Block ANY of those that show up. More get added everyday. They are all bots, and will wipe out your posts if they don't like them.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell
Those are not calls to Facebook, those are related the the share this page and share buttons at the bottom. (and is built in the software)

I don't believe there are any active calls to Facebook other than if you login here using your Facebook login.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts