Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
I just browsed around on eBay and was surprised by the prices being asked, and received, for old receivers. The old 4900 was still going for around $100. I saw tons of 311s, one person is selling a lot of 5, and admitting that they might have outstanding purchases still on them, and the bid was approaching $400.

Are a large percentage of these going to pirates? Or is the 12M subscriber base just generating this much demand for old receivers?

With brand new 311s going for $109, why would anyone want an old one, with possible charges still on it, for $80? Unless it is for hacking?

What surprised me is how many old receivers were out there being bid up to prices approaching or exceeding brand new receivers.

Hackers are buying 100-200 Dish receivers every day?

Tom Bombadil said:
What surprised me is how many old receivers were out there being bid up to prices approaching or exceeding brand new receivers.

yep..pretty sad if you ask me.

they don't want a cardless unit for obvious reasons.

Tom Bombadil said:
I
Are a large percentage of these going to pirates? Or is the 12M subscriber base just generating this much demand for old receivers?

Definately the pirates. Since Nagrastar finally put a stop to the FTA game, the pirate market for old cards has shot through the roof. Even the cardless receivers are now wanted for their onboard card. Ebay is a excellent indicator of what the pirate tvers are buying.

Cardless receivers are being targeted aslo. Why would someone buy a 311 with an outstanding balance and pay more that they would if they bought a new one?

Iceberg said:
yep..pretty sad if you ask me.

Yes it is. And Echostar will never own up to how bad the problem REALLY is.

It sure seems to me that the Nagravision folks could do a much better job of making their system a lot more secure. If thinks keep up the way they are going I'll bet that we will see another card swap.

card swap , no way, dish won't fork out that kinda cash any time soon, especially since the nag 2 was cracked before the new nag 2 cards were even being shipped.

That had a prime opportunity to secure everything up tight when prior to releasing the mp4 receivers. Now they just have to try and fix what they have. Maybe they should talk to the digicipher or even the power vu folks.

Having weak security propagates the hardware devices into the market. I have always thought they both (DN &* DTV) used that as a quiet selling point and at some magic number they decide to finally become serious about plugging the holes.

charper1 said:
Having weak security propagates the hardware devices into the market. I have always thought they both (DN &* DTV) used that as a quiet selling point and at some magic number they decide to finally become serious about plugging the holes.

Hehe, I've always thought that. That's why lots of insiders say they wouldn't be suprised to see a limited DTV hack released by DTV themselves...

:mad: the sad part is we are paying for there service. I'm paying $135/mo full service though. wouldn't it just be easier to have the receiver call to get a new code every week. and keep changing codes. it wont stop them but it will slow them down making them work on it every week instead of just allowing it to continue. it kind of makes me mad. i report the card only actions when i see them i don't think they care. and directv equipment seems to be cheap on ebay. with out revealing to much how did they put a end to it?

hobojoe said:
:mad: the sad part is we are paying for there service. I'm paying $135/mo full service though. wouldn't it just be easier to have the receiver call to get a new code every week. and keep changing codes. it wont stop them but it will slow them down making them work on it every week instead of just allowing it to continue. it kind of makes me mad. i report the card only actions when i see them i don't think they care. and directv equipment seems to be cheap on ebay. with out revealing to much how did they put a end to it?

How are you paying for their service?

If Directv had a widespread hack (I have heard that they have one but not widespread released like Dish Network/FTA - take that with a grain of salt because I heard it from someone else that heard it somewhere else) then Directv hardware would be right up there where Dish Network is. I remembe when Directv was going for $100+ for their card without it being programmed.

You know what gets me.....they said that Directv lost millions upon millions every year to the hacking that was done in the past. Now that they have put an end to the hacking, you would think that the savings could now be pasted onto the customers. No savings here!!! It reminds me of the car insurance companies blaming their high rates on all of the false claims going on. Now that there is a lower rate of fraud....the high rates still exsist. It's all a bunch of crap if you ask me. Providers are charging too much for TV. People will always try to hack something that is high priced.

kenny, i was pointing out like at a store were there is stealling merchandise. the owner must raise prices to pay for whats stolen. so i pay $130+/mo some of that goes to pay for the sat theft. "so we are paying for it" and as far as directv i thought they fixed there hacking problem but it sounds as if they just slowed it down.

What's odd is I have our Directv HD Tivo on ebay and about half of the 8 questions I've been asked is "Is the card included?"

Well I don't believe D* has been hacked it just sounds better cause E* has.D* has
not been doing ECM's like E* and until they do and you see the value of the receivers increase on EBay I wouldn't believe anyone who says otherwise.

so you think that sat theft has no effect on our prices? on one hand i see your point its not a phisical item being taken on the other its still revenue being lost.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts