how long before let baby cat explore outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarson79

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
i dont beleive in letting one roam outside until after it has had sugery. mine was nuetard last week. hes about twelve weeks old is it time for him to start being let out during a day at work? i live in a rural area and havnt ever had luck leting one stay inside all the time.

We always kept 2 cats. Best to have at least 2 cats. All ours have been indoors only. Worth the effort. They live longer, healthier lives. And you will worry less.

I love cats and have never been fond of throwing them outside. I'll say this, though: If the one I have already asked about doesn't learn how to shut up once in a while, she's going to become acquainted with the outdoors once she is spayed. It's just a CONSTANT MEOW! :confused:

Our cat Angel had 4 kittens and at 6 weeks, they as well as momma were put outside and have been happier and more active than they were inside. We also live in the "sticks", too, so not much danger of predators; such as cars, etc. Just make sure there is some sort of shelter during storms. That's kind of obvious, though.

Our cat Angel had 4 kittens and at 6 weeks, they as well as momma were put outside and have been happier and more active than they were inside. We also live in the "sticks", too, so not much danger of predators; such as cars, etc. Just make sure there is some sort of shelter during storms. That's kind of obvious, though.

We live in the sticks... most people won't let their cats out.. the coyotes get them.

You really have to take stock of your region and its predators before letting them outside. If its the city forget it as they will have to contend with other cats, dogs, raccoons, kids, teenagers, adults, and cars and the humans in this mix tend to be the worst.

Country wise it is the coyote that has become the predator to worry about specialy outwest in California though the only other predator to worry about is again humans who either use them as target practice or as was the case near where I used to live satanic sacrifices ( Claude may remember this from a few years ago in Ypsilanti township ).

I'm in northeast Georgia and here it would be coyotes. I seen a dog after a cat several weeks ago and the cat just ran up a tree to safety. As for coyotes, is it true they only prowl during the night? If so, it would seem logical to just let the cat out during the day and have them in by the late afternoon... It's sort of off subject, but how long should I wait before spaying this little gal? She's about six weeks right now.

I have Coyote's around me, in middle Georgia. I've never seen one personally, but I hear them often, at least I've been told it's Coyote's I hear? Usually around dusk, but at other times too. Well, I have seen some dead ones, but none actually alive. Now Fox is a different story. I see Fox regularly, in daylight and after dark. I don't know enough about cats to help you out. It's not that I don't care for them, but I'm more partial to dogs. Hope you get your questions answered.

We have always had our cats declawed, and without that protection and because our cats have usually been either Siamese or Himalayan, we have kept them in if at all possible. Most of our cats have been ok with this, and most have shown no interest in the outdoors. The exceptions were a cat that we had in Omaha that we got at the animal shelter. It had been a feral cat, and never was completely domesticated. It went out the pet door, and while the dog stayed in the fenced yard, we had no idea where the cat went. It stayed in Omaha, because the day we moved my wife had put it in a bathroom to keep it in. By accident someone opened the door, and with the doors open for moving it was gone. After having been locked up all day, there was no way it was coming close to any of us. The neighbors got glimpses of him a few times in the following weeks.

Currently we have a Siamese who insists on spending as much time outside as he can. We try to at least keep him in at night, but he has spent a number of nights outside. The thing that worries us most is that he is a very friendly cat. The other cat living with us was my daughter's. It was a cat she rescued, and had evidently been abused. Weeks have gone by when we didn't see this cat. When my daughter left for the Peace Corps the cat stayed with us. She is still a 'fraidy cat, but does come around us, especially my wife. She's been outside a total of 2 times since we have been here, and I'm not sure she really meant to do so either time. Just happened to wander out when the door was open. and no one was around.

I've never heard of neutering a cat that young--I'm surprised. Females are usually able to be neutered before the males, but my vets have always recommended around 6-8 months, some vets even longer.

Don't forget owls as predators. They love kittens!:eek:

My cats stay indoors. I lost one in a car (really--in a car, the fan belt), and I don't want to go through that again.

We always kept 2 cats. Best to have at least 2 cats. All ours have been indoors only. Worth the effort. They live longer, healthier lives. And you will worry less.

Ditto. My two cats are 14 and 13 years old and have never been sick a day in their lives -- probably because they've never been outside.

There is a move to neuter/spay at 12 weeks now. Not sure how widespread, as we are no longer members of a cat club.

One lady at the club talked about how she and her cats ate supper off the same plate. We became somewhat disenchanted after that and did not join another cat club after we moved.

There is a move to neuter/spay at 12 weeks now. Not sure how widespread, as we are no longer members of a cat club.

One lady at the club talked about how she and her cats ate supper off the same plate. We became somewhat disenchanted after that and did not join another cat club after we moved.
I wonder if getting cats neutered early is easier for owners to remember to get it done? It seems awfully young. I had one vet tell me that he liked to wait until the males were fully grown at 10 months old.

I don't blame you for not joining another cat club. Who needs to hear their dining habits?

The thought used to be that you let females go into heat once before neutering, and I suppose the equivalent for males. Not anymore. The thought generally is that what the cats have never experienced they aren't going to miss so much.

We at one time had a beautiful male Siamese. Unfortunately the poor guy broke his leg, and after the vet was done pinning it he told us he had thought about neutering him while he was already out, but he was such a beautiful cat he was afraid we might want to breed him. My wife and I had not even thought about it, but we started looking for a female. They were in short supply in South Dakota where we were at the time. We finally had a pet shop owner who got one for us from a relative in another part of the state. She was taken from her mother before she was really old enough, and then started having kittens when she was really to young. Our male was a big cat, and the female was always small, and was was not the best cat we have ever had when it came to the litter box. But she was a great mother. She may not have been the best herself in using her litter box, but she was great when it came to training her kittens. The Tom also made a great father. When mom wanted a break, he'd get in there and kitten sit. They would come and talk to us until we would come and take a look at the kittens. Actually, mom never talked much, but dad made up for it. She just plain never had much personality, but the male had enough for both of them. We finally sold the two of them, but the best of the first litter went to my parents, and we kept the best of the last litter. Ten years later we visited the little town where this had taken place, and where we had sold a fair share of the kittens. We were visiting with a couple when their cat walked through the room. It was obviously not a purebred Siamese, but it also very obviously had some Siamese traits. They said every cat in town now had some Siamese in it.

Anyway, if this has a point, its that many vets are now recommending neutering take place much earlier than they used to.

"...every cat in town now had some Siamese in it."

:haha:clap

I guess it makes sense that they are advocating getting cats "fixed" earlier to prevent overpopulation. I just kept mine inside at least until then, but it's easy for them to get outside earlier and the "damage" is done. Thanks for the explanations.

fhsucade07, in Wisconsin, I've seen coyotes during the day, so I wouldn't let her out until she's better able to protect herself--run faster, climb better (climb down too--most kittens don't seem to figure that out).

Maybe you'll just want to call your local vet to see when he/she recommends spaying her. One vet I had, the one who recommended waiting longer, also did "European style" on my female cat--the incision is more on the side, not the tummy, so her organs didn't press on the incision while healing. She really did well after surgery, but I doubt if many vets do that.

The spay and neutering is being done alot earlier now and its a good movement just as the movement to stop and even in some states and countries to not declaw clats because it is the procedure of cutting off the last joint in the end of the finger and has been found to cause behaviorual issues in alot of cats. There are alternatives to declawing, one is to actually trim the claws once or twice a month, another is to get several scratching posts and to spray on catnip every so often, a third is to get a product called softclaws wich are small rubber caps that you glue onto the cats claws and stays in place for 30+ days. One other alternative is to not get cats at all if you feel that you have to have them declawed out of concern for furniture and to just go with something else such as a keet or fish.

I guess it makes sense that they are advocating getting cats "fixed" earlier to prevent overpopulation. I just kept mine inside at least until then, but it's easy for them to get outside earlier and the "damage" is done. Thanks for the explanations.

fhsucade07, in Wisconsin, I've seen coyotes during the day, so I wouldn't let her out until she's better able to protect herself--run faster, climb better (climb down too--most kittens don't seem to figure that out).

Maybe you'll just want to call your local vet to see when he/she recommends spaying her. One vet I had, the one who recommended waiting longer, also did "European style" on my female cat--the incision is more on the side, not the tummy, so her organs didn't press on the incision while healing. She really did well after surgery, but I doubt if many vets do that.

Thanks for letting me know. I have an appointment scheduled with the vet Friday morning. I'm a little concerned about her because of the knot I found in her stomach region. Plus, I'm afraid the meowing is more of a "hey, something is sort of wrong here" thing than just a bad habit. Regardless, I already love her (after a week) and will be absolutely and completely destroyed if something happens to her. (In addition to finding the knot, she's also throwing up a good little bit and has been having diarreah). I wasn't worried about the diarreah at first as I thought it could just be from the change in diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts