How long before you ARE NOT a previous customer?

tlturbo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
Lake Worth, FL
I lost my house to a fire in Feb of 2000 and never bought a new system.

If I wanted back into Dish, would they still know I once had a system or can I get in on the NEW customer deals? How long do they remember you and is it by SS number or name?

Many thanks

If the name, number, and address matches in the system, then it will consider you an existing customer. If the combination is different to where you have any of the two matches then it may not recognize the person as an existing customer. For example, you may not be able to use the name again but if you used a different name under the same address with a different phone number then it may work, such as a relative's name that may be living there now, wife's name, or child's name. This is not really allowed by Dish Network. I can see in some cases where someone else may want their own account in which would require a name, address, and phone number to be changed on the account, or where only one could remain the same while all the others would have to change. I think the name on the account is the biggest thing that would need changed.

new customer

Stargazer said:
If the name, number, and address matches in the system, then it will consider you an existing customer. If the combination is different to where you have any of the two matches then it may not recognize the person as an existing customer. For example, you may not be able to use the name again but if you used a different name under the same address with a different phone number then it may work, such as a relative's name that may be living there now, wife's name, or child's name. This is not really allowed by Dish Network. I can see in some cases where someone else may want their own account in which would require a name, address, and phone number to be changed on the account, or where only one could remain the same while all the others would have to change. I think the name on the account is the biggest thing that would need changed.
I also was frustrated with all the goodies the new accounts get, and former customers get kicked to the curb. Account was in my name, so tried wives name, but no go, computer kicked it out.

DirecTv is supposed to have some great offers for their existing customers if what is in the new letter from DirecTv is true. Dish Network would have to do the same if they wanted to keep up or risk losing a lot of business to DirecTv.

Also the last name might be kicking it out along with the phone number matching the address which is another biggie.

I had a D* account a couple years ago, but I moved in with someone else with D* and canceled it. I just moved out and bought a new receiver, and D* seemed to think I was a new customer. I even got 3 free months of HBO!

tlturbo said:
I lost my house to a fire in Feb of 2000 and never bought a new system.

If I wanted back into Dish, would they still know I once had a system or can I get in on the NEW customer deals? How long do they remember you and is it by SS number or name?

In short: "indefinitely"

All of the new promotions are for new, first time, customers. If you had service 6 years ago, you would not be a first time customer. This is how DISH looks at it.

Now, for reality - if you were to move and have a different phone number, DISH wouldn't match you up as a previous customer. If you had to give DISH your ssn, then you would never be able to have an account in your name again. But, just signing up with a new name and same address and phone number won't cut it. As said above, the two strike rule applies. If any two of either the last name, phone number, or address match up, it's a no-go.

Also, if you have the same phone number, don't try to just give them a different number to get a new account. DISH uses ANI to detect phone numbers. When you call in from your home phone, it pulls up whatever account is tied to that number, and there's no way to block it. You may remember not to call DISH on that line today, but on down the road, someone's going to forget and use that line for billing or tech support. Then voila! you're caught!

DISH's idea is that if it was easy enough for a customer to leave them before, he'll probably just do it again. And, of course, they only want "good, long term customers." ;) They don't want to be like cell phone companies where people churn to other providers every time their contract is up.

Also if you lost your house in a fire, the insurance company should have paid you for the Dish boxes. Of course it would have been lumpped in with everything else.

E* caught the former owner of my house when I activated my service. He had cancelled his account a couple of years prior. I suppose they gave me "new customer" status because of the name and phone number, but the question did come up because of the address match.

JL

This is why Dish Network is requiring the last four digits of your ssn or your entire ssn, to try to match you up in the system, or make you pay $50 or $200.

Call Dish and tell them you were a previous customer and ask if they will give you the new promo they're offering new customers. I was offered the two room deal with 3 months free.

I bet you that most that calls in asking for a new promo as an existing customer will not get a new promo or any promo of any kind but a bill for $25 and two months of programming instead.

As long as you didn't leave with an outstanding bill or create a problem for DISH they will probably welcome you back as a customer they may not offer you a new customer promotion but the worst they can say is no. If you haven't been a DirecTV customer before you should qualify for their new customer promotions.

Most that had one service in the past would go to the other service if they want a good new customer deal. Perhaps they should offer existing customers wanting service again a small promotion if they sign a contract for one or two years.