How long do I have to stop service to be a "New" customer

rprice54

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
My original service agreement is up. I have a new HD TV. I want to upgrade to HD service and I've been happy with Dish Network so far, but I don't understand why new customers get a free HD DVR and I have to pay $150 for it. I'd be happy to sign a new agreement. Cell phone companies are willing to work with you when your contract is up- to me it's the same thing.

So if I cancel my service, how long do I have to wait to be a "new" customer and take advantage of the deal? My local cable company can set me up with HD/DVR etc without a contract and without having to buy any equipment- but the service is a lot more $$$ after the 6 month promotional period etc.

Anyone know?

My original service agreement is up. I have a new HD TV. I want to upgrade to HD service and I've been happy with Dish Network so far, but I don't understand why new customers get a free HD DVR and I have to pay $150 for it. I'd be happy to sign a new agreement. Cell phone companies are willing to work with you when your contract is up- to me it's the same thing.

So if I cancel my service, how long do I have to wait to be a "new" customer and take advantage of the deal? My local cable company can set me up with HD/DVR etc without a contract and without having to buy any equipment- but the service is a lot more $$$ after the 6 month promotional period etc.

Anyone know?

When we were considering bundling our Phone with Dish, we were told 6 months of no Dish.

Geoff

I have heard on the order of 3 years. Charlie does not want to spend a dime on you after you leave and want to come back.

Until your next life time, dish keeps your info for a long long time but as someone else eluded to try going to a bundle and put it under the wifes name.

Cell phones dont cost as much as an hd dvr unless your looking at an Iphone.

You never become a new customer. However if you leave on good terms, Dish will let you come back with a former customer promo after you have been off their service for six months.. Which basically treats you like a new customer with a few minor differences.

I guess it doesn't hurt to try. direct tv has more HD channels right now anyways, at least the ones I'm interested in- if dish won't take me back no big deal.

I'm still surprised they aren't more interested in retaining customers.

mine still says $150 and my contract already expired, interesting. I think I would do it for $75...

My worst fear (having to talk to a rep). Imagine that, I can't believe you had trouble getting an answer. Reminds me of the movie COOL HAND LUKE, "I think we have a failure to communicate". Thanks for the heads up.

My worst fear (having to talk to a rep). Imagine that, I can't believe you had trouble getting an answer. Reminds me of the movie COOL HAND LUKE, "I think we have a failure to communicate". Thanks for the heads up.

It was kind of funny i asked when my contract was up., and he said "so you want to cancel your service?" I said no, I just want to know when my contract is up. he said "I am confused". This went on for about 7 or 8 responses.

I don't know what kind of dish I have. Could I go look at it to know?

We moved and got a new dish last May. And under my the Digital Home protection fine print it says I get one move at no cost without affecting my agreement, I guess I should call and be sure. We've been with dish about 2 years.

I was building a house and moved to an appartment for about 9 months. I cancelled and came back. I just went on the website and signed up as a "new customer". They never said anything and I got the deal that was listed. If they say anything, just be polite and ask to cancel the installation. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts