How long does it take to format an EHD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I just buy a hard drive enclosure with a power supply then get a hard drive to put in it. My WD 1 TB worked fine.

Reactions: navychop
3TB drives can work with HWS. Just plugged in a USB3 Touro (hitachi) case with a 3TB hitachi drive in it and took less than 5 minutes to format and shows 3TB available (27xx GB). I already have a 1 TB drive attached. No restart required, no unplugging one to get other to work. The hitachi cases have their own disk controllers and bypass the drives disk controller.

This drive was used as a time machine drive on my mac for 2 years. Before plugging it into the HWS I repartitioned as MBR/FAT using the mac. I wonder if this had anything to do with the ease of formatting by HWS? Maybe larger NTSF formatted disks with secret partitions and bloatware backup apps preinstalled give the HWS issues? Maybe repartition using a PC first as MBR/FAT which is the most universal.

I'm only using this driver temporarily to move things off the HWS before the forced software upgrade December 22. That way if things go wrong, hopefully I still have my recordings when a replacement HWS arrives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)