How long will the 942/921 last?

bdemz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
If I do not want any of the new HD.

How long until Dish turns off MPEG-2 HD Channels?

HBO, SHO, original VOOM, DISC, HDNET etc...

Thanks

I believe Scott mentioned next March as being a possible target for MPEG-2 HD termination. Of course, I'm sure nobody knows at this point in time...not even Dish Network. Also, at the rate they are shipping the 622s, I predict it will take unitl March of 2007 to complete the orders for those who are on various waiting lists.:rolleyes:

It's all a matter of when they want to take back the "extra" spectrum being used by the less efficient data stream.

At that point they would pretty much have to do a "free" swap, like they did with Dish500 dishes a few years back. March 2007 may be a target but my guess is March 2008, since most major changes by E* are usually off by about 12 months....

Thanks

Thanks Bob, so basically if I am happy? with the current HD they have I do not have to upgrade my receiver. Right?

How about the HD programming tier? Will my prices go up for channels I cannot recieve

No one is FORCED to do anything at this time. They are trying to get us early adopters to shoulder a portion of the cost by dangling new channels in front of us. They added NYC HD LILs for me which cinched the deal for me, but everyone's situation is different.

You can stay with your current equipment until they tell you otherwise. There is no way they are going to swap out a million+ HD STBs in one year (assuming that 8-10% of their subscribers have 1 HD receiver,... that may go up if there are several households with multiple units).

As for your programming, your existing package is unaffected for now. You would have to switch packages if you want the NEW channels.

One change though, I had AEP, locals, and Playboy on separate lines on my bill. This month they combined them for about a $6 savings.... It sounds like they are giving a discount for Playboy if you bundle it with that package (i don't know if it is other ones as well, or if there are other channels that can be bundled vs. a la carte)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts