How many cables do I need?

mrnadir

Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
Austin TX
Hi,
I am planning to get Dish Network at my new home. I have 2 coax running from the outside to a central OnQ box in the closet inside. From that OnQ box, I have coax going to every room (A,B,C) in the house. What is the max number of TV's I can have connected with this coax setup? Is it possible for me to get the following setup:
1. HD signal in Room A
2. HD signal in Room B
3. SD signal in Room C
I want to have DVR access in at least one of the rooms.

If the above is not possible, How many more cables to I have to run from the outside to inside OnQ box? Please help! I cannot find this info anywhere and I dont want to call DN because .... well, they are not the smartest folks as you all probably know!

Yes, you can do that with two cables as long as one of the HD receivers is a duo, and room C is hooked up to the TV2 output of the duo HD receiver.

If you really want to plan for the future, run 3 cables: one for each satellite orbital location. Then you could put a switch inside and drive 4 receivers (or 8, or 12 with more switches).

I would advise 4 cables coming into the OnQ box. That would allow 4 satellite inputs or adding an OTA input. Always easier to do before the walls are closed in,

For the setup you want now, 2 lines will work for 2 HD tvs and up to 4 tvs total

If you ever want to add a 3rd HD tv, or more than 4 tvs total, you will need at least one more line to the OnQ in order to add more recs or switches

and the RG-6 should be rated to 3 ghz

thanks you all for the replies. I will be wiring the 2 coax myself. Other than the 3Ghz RG6 requirement, are there any other specs that I should be looking for? Any links would be appreciated. Thanks!

Exactly right about the four lines! especially if you have or are going to get internet. BTW 2 extra solid copper cables for Hughes or Wild Blue would be nice in case that is your only option.:up

4 lets you do D* without a problem if you ever switch, gives you an extra for OTA without diplexing, or allows for a wing if you need one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts