How many coax do I need

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
I am moving my receiver location and will eventually replace it with a hopper.

I have to run new coax so how many runs should I have?
Currently there is one run to each room in the house from a single location and there are 2 runs from the dish to the same location, but only one run to the room with the receiver.

I tell everyone to have two runs of RG6 to each room you would want TV in. They should all start at a central location like a utility room. You should have at least three runs of RG6 from the dish antenna into the central location, but I recommend 4. If you do this you should be able to accomplish about anything you want.

Will do - I will have the ceiling open and it is easy to do.

Thanks

Actually, he's talking "Hopper". So he really does need two coax cables to handle OTA, if he ever intends to plug in the OTA dongle.

Don't forget that if you ever want to mirror the signal to another room with the Hopper systems it's best to have a second cable, if it's not being used for OTA of course.

Got it .. I will run 2 for sure
I wish I could access other rooms but that is not possible in this house.

Also if getting a Hopper system installed, the Hopper requires rg6 rated at 3 ghz and joey's or super Joey will work with rg59 or rg6 rated at at least 2150 ghz, but it's a good idea just to run it all rg6 3ghz, especially if you gonna have a Hopper interconnect (HIC) hooked up to it.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Only use RG59 when it's the only option you have, like if it's existing wiring and too hard to run new cable. NEVER install new RG59, it's just a waste and the extra few cents for RG6 will save you problems in the future.

I purchased a new home last year ... it was built in 2006. Whoever built it was thinking. They ran 4 RG6 cables from the dish location to a central box (in my laundry room). They then ran a single RG6 to all the applicable rooms from that central location. With the way DISH is doing things these days with MOCA and the like ... this has been PERFECT! I have a solo node at my central box - done deal.

If I had one wish ... that they ran a second RG6 to the main TV location for the purpose of an OTA connector. With the 4 cable run to the dish location, I could use 3 for the dish, and the 4th for the OTA antenna. (I currently only use 2 from the dish ... but I would like to get a Super Joey which will use the 3rd.) Back in my 722 days (at the old home) I used a splitter to run my OTA and satellite signals on one cable - worked great! With the Hopper, you can no longer do that.

Sadly I am going to have to get brave and go down into my crawl space and perhaps run some RG6 from the central location to the main TV area where the Hopper is. In the winter ... it was too cold (at least that is what I told myself) ... now that it is spring and the creepy crawlers are waking up ... I should have done it when things were cold ;)

I purchased a new home last year ... it was built in 2006. Whoever built it was thinking. They ran 4 RG6 cables from the dish location to a central box (in my laundry room). They then ran a single RG6 to all the applicable rooms from that central location. With the way DISH is doing things these days with MOCA and the like ... this has been PERFECT! I have a solo node at my central box - done deal.

If I had one wish ... that they ran a second RG6 to the main TV location for the purpose of an OTA connector. With the 4 cable run to the dish location, I could use 3 for the dish, and the 4th for the OTA antenna. (I currently only use 2 from the dish ... but I would like to get a Super Joey which will use the 3rd.) Back in my 722 days (at the old home) I used a splitter to run my OTA and satellite signals on one cable - worked great! With the Hopper, you can no longer do that.

Sadly I am going to have to get brave and go down into my crawl space and perhaps run some RG6 from the central location to the main TV area where the Hopper is. In the winter ... it was too cold (at least that is what I told myself) ... now that it is spring and the creepy crawlers are waking up ... I should have done it when things were cold ;)

Four cables from the Dish is perfect and a single cable can get the job done but it's not ideal. Like you said, with the Hopper system and OTA you need two cables. For people that want to mirror off a Joey to another room it's best to have a second cable as well since you can't easily diplex the system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)