How many dishes needed?

Proc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
Motown
I am a current D* customer, but am intriqued by E*'s upcoming offerings.

Question:

If I were to go to E*, I would want the HD receiver/package.

Driving in my neighborhood, I sometimes see houses with one huge dish and others with 2 dishes.

How many dishes are needed to E* and HD?

depends on your location. I noticed you have "motown" as your location, so I am going to assume Detroit DMA

you would need 2 dishes..one for most of the Dish stuff (110/119) and one for Voom HD and the extra locals (61.5) Since you get it for free because of the locals, have them do it right away.

The big one is probably a Superdish, which is mostly used for International channels. There are some local channels in Michigan that need a SD

I think most of the other DMA's in Michigan (that are on Dish) use a Superdish.

Yep...I am in Motown. So two dishes. One aimed at 61.5 and one at 110/119.

"extra locals"? on 61.5? Which extras would be on there?

in some markets, Dish has locals split on 2 satellites. Most of your main ones are on 110/119 (the main dish).

Looks like there is just one on 61.5 and that is WADL 38 (Mt Clemens)...but because there is one local on 61.5, you get the 2nd dish all switches and install for FREEEEEEE

(If it wasn't, you'd have to pay for install and the DIsh to get all the HD)

The other channels are on 110, which the Dish 500 gets
2-FOX
4-NBC
7-ABC
20-WB
50-UPN
56-PBS
62-CBS

correct me if i am wrong Iceberg, but HD that is on 61.5 is simulcast ot 129. i am pretty sure in Motown you can pick up 129 and just put a Dish 1000 up.

BnT said:
correct me if i am wrong Iceberg, but HD that is on 61.5 is simulcast ot 129. i am pretty sure in Motown you can pick up 129 and just put a Dish 1000 up.

Is Dish 1000 the big dish (Superdish) or just a multi LNB dish?

So if I moved to E*, I could be looking at one dish (Dish 1000) aimed at 110/119/129 or 2 dishes aimed at 61.5/110/119?

the Dish 1000 is not that much bigger than the Dish 500(20"). the 1000 picks up three orbital locations. the Super Dish also picks up 3 locations but is much larger

Yes the HD is on 129 also, but the issue is if he orders a Dish1000, he will have to pay for it. That local on 61.5 is NOT duplicated on 129, so if he uses the must carry rule, he would get 2 dishes for free.

If he wants a Dish1000, he would have to pay for it

The Superdish is 36x20..main reason is the satellite for International channels and some locals is lowered power.

Dish1000 I think is 23x20

Iceberg said:
Yes the HD is on 129 also, but the issue is if he orders a Dish1000, he will have to pay for it. That local on 61.5 is NOT duplicated on 129, so if he uses the must carry rule, he would get 2 dishes for free.
If he wants a Dish1000, he would have to pay for it
I just signed up with Dish a few weeks ago, I get free locals, and they installed a Dish1000 free of charge.

I get my locals from Salt Lake City, UT.

I'm new to satelite TV, so I don't know much :). All I know is that the only satelite dish they installed is the dish1000, and that I have the HD pack, AT60 package, and am getting free locals(although the only local I use from the satelite is FOX, all others I use the OTA signal). Installation and equipment was all free(after the $50 bill credit).

There are some locals on 148, but they are mirrored on 129 so thats why you get the Dish1000 :)

I know the Spanish station is on 129..easiest way to see is go to a channel, press menu 6-1-1 and it will tell you what satellite and transponder its on :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts