How many OTA tuners on VIP722?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JimP

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Wetumpka, AL
According to the spec sheet it looks like I should only have 1 OTA tuner on my VIP 722 (this is not the 722K).

But I'm able to record two OTA channels at one time as selected from the OTA channels in the program guide. One thing I notice is that I get the antenna symbol with one of them.

Could the DVR be rerouting the local channel from the satellite feed?

You must have the local package with your dish subscription.

The channel listing that shows the antenna logo is the signal you're receiving over the air, and as mentioned in the previous post, will show as yellow (it will also show you a signal meter to show the strength of the signal). The other channel listing is the satellite signal.

The 211 with the external DVR option will allow you to record/watch a satellite signal and an over the air signal at the same time. It will not allow for two satellite or two OTAs at the same time.

I have the VIP211 that I also have my antenna hooked up to. Whenever possible I prefer to record or watch the OTA signal because it isn't compressed like the satellite signal. The picture looks better to my old tired eyes.

Well, that OTA signal is compressed, but not nearly so much. The nature of MPEG (in this case, -2 for OTA) requires at least a minor amount of compression. So it's not compressed "like" or as much, as a satellite signal.

I'd say the best sources for PQ are OTA & Blu-ray.

That might in part explain why I thought my TIVO did a better job recording OTA than my 722. I was probably comparing a recording off of satellite and thought it was the OTA feed.

Well, that OTA signal is compressed, but not nearly so much. The nature of MPEG (in this case, -2 for OTA) requires at least a minor amount of compression. So it's not compressed "like" or as much, as a satellite signal.

I'd say the best sources for PQ are OTA & Blu-ray.

I always record local channels with my EHD via OTA instead of satellite. I do think the PQ is a little better.

Quality is dependant upon how many sub-channels a local is pushing. If they are doing two in addition to the main HD channel, you will see a significant decrease in quality.

@whatchel1, I would be interested to know the sub-channel count for your local NBC vs. the one you moved to.

Quality is dependant upon how many sub-channels a local is pushing. If they are doing two in addition to the main HD channel, you will see a significant decrease in quality.

@whatchel1, I would be interested to know the sub-channel count for your local NBC vs. the one you moved to.

That's not entirely true. It depends on which encoder they're using. On the better ones, its extremely difficult to tell the difference.

Don't know

Have no idea since I don't get it OTA and it is in Little Rock where I'm not. When I look on TV fool don't see any subs. Also the local OTA NBC has 2 SD subs on an old Harris Flexi-coder. It was one of the 1st to come out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)