How many receivers on a Dish account.

Not true at all, I lease a 622, 722 and a 722k for 6 leased tuners plus an owned 612.

No, TRUE! You are an exception to the policy. The policy is no more than 4 leased tuners and no more than 6 STB's per residential account. As others have stated, these days, especially, Dish will make exceptions on a case by case basis. Also, there are several former MPEG2 HD subs who were allowed to have more than 4 leased tuners because Dish had to replace all of their boxes to MPEG4 at Dish's expense, both leased and owned MPEG2 HD STB's. We are glad that you were granted an exception.

I guess so, but if they (dish) know where the receivers are (hooked to phone or ethernet) then why would they care how many receivers a person has on their account.

Because from Dish's view, someone needing more than 6 STB's is quite likely a business, such as a bar, etc., and those people need to pay the business rate, not the less expensive Residential Rate. Dish claims the billing software for residential accounts won't recognize more than 6 STB's. However, I've heard of a few residential accounts allowed a 7th STB. Now, over that, Dish feels you can pay the business rate. And Dish has a point. 12 tuners in one household residential account is pretty generous.

Last edited:
The correct term would really be that DISH normally will lease 4 OUTPUTS rather than saying tuners.
Because from Dish's view, someone needing more than 6 STB's is quite likely a business, such as a bar, etc., and those people need to pay the business rate, not the less expensive Residential Rate. Dish claims the billing software for residential accounts won't recognize more than 6 STB's. However, I've heard of a few residential accounts allowed a 7th STB. Now, over that, Dish feels you can pay the business rate. And Dish has a point. 12 tuners in one household residential account is pretty generous.

Really??

DISH has never accused me of being a business.

I've got 8 STB on my account, 6 leased. :D

Some people use a dual tuner receiver in a single room because they want to record two things at once without someone wanting to watch something in the other room at the same time cancelling their recording. That has to get annoying.

The correct term would really be that DISH normally will lease 4 OUTPUTS rather than saying tuners.

Really??

DISH has never accused me of being a business.

I've got 8 STB on my account, 6 leased. :D

Uh, yeah, really. Any residential sub can have more than one residential account and have STB's beyond the 6 on subsequent accounts. A fellow on this board had a similar set-up to yours, but Dish finally got around to calling him and had him open a 2nd account for the additional boxes. Very sad. We wish you better luck, but it seems you are one of the exceptions or you are somehow preventing Dish from knowing the number of boxes on your account. I suppose you never hear from Signal Integrity (formerly Auditing) and don't have to have all your STB's connected to a phone line or broadband internet connection, as well.

No, the correct term is "tuners" not outputs. All the contracts specifically use the term "tuners" as do the disclosure statements.

By your improvised term of "outputs" we would have to count the TV1 HDMI output, the TV 1 S-Video or composite output, the TV2 composite output and the TV1 component output. By your system, a single box already has 4 "outputs." This is why the term "tuners" is used in all contracts and written material.

It is the number of TV experiences or "tuners", not outputs, and this is true for all Duo STB's. The dual tuner 612 is classified as a Solo STB, and, therefore, is only counted as a single "tuner" STB for purposes of tuner limits and upgrades. So, Dish will lease either 2 Duo STB's or 4 Solo STB's. This means that a sub can lease up to 4 dual tuner (4 boxes) 612's on one household account and be at the 4 tuner limit because the 612 is officially a Solo box. Try reading the contracts for elucidation.

Forgive the length of the response, but it was clear from your response that you required a detailed explanation. Hang around the board many here are willing to help you.

Last edited:
It is the number of TV experiences or "tuners", not outputs, and this is true for all Duo STB's.
Oh no! :eek: Don't give Dish any ideas. It's all we need to start counting "TV experiences" rather than tuners or independent outputs. :p

We installed a 12 TV hook up in a customer's house a couple years ago. We had to set up 2 accounts for that customer in order to follow dish's business rules.

I got 2 622s and a single box in my girls bedroom so a total of 5
I have a 7 bedroom house so I guess in reality I could have 7 recievers.

but my problem that I had to fight dish on ,was the switch- needed bigger switch and they wanted to charge me 200 for it.

Well EVT will make you connect them all to phone lines if you want more than the 6. I have seen an account with a lot more than 6 its really a case by case basis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)