How many trees can a satellite signal handle?

Offroad

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
Where my installer put my Dish 500, it appears that it is having to pickup the signal through the tops of some trees. It could have been put higher up on the peak of the house and at least been better if not avoided them entirely.

I went into the "point dish" section in setup on the 811 this morning, and it was using Transponder 13. The 119 bird showed 114 on signal, and the 110 showed 95 on signal.

If I play around with the transponders I can get the 110 closer to the 119, but the 119 is always higher. Also why at a later time does the Transponder always change itself to something other than what I left it on?

I have been having some glitches mostly on TNTHD, would trying to get the dish to be more clear of the trees help me or with signal readings like I'm getting is this a waste of time?

Thanks.

Offroad said:
Where my installer put my Dish 500, it appears that it is having to pickup the signal through the tops of some trees. It could have been put higher up on the peak of the house and at least been better if not avoided them entirely.

Thanks.
The problem I would have with your setup going though some treetops is that in the summer when trees have all their leaves you could get come signal degrading. Also from reading your post the dish is pointing into the some of the tops. Now as the tree(s) grow, you have the potential to lose more and more of your signal. Guess you now have the option when it is time to reshingle the roof, you can also raise the dish higher on the peak (possible requiring new cable due to the extended length).

Alt

Also consider that the dish is not pointing directly at the Sat. so to speak. The dish appears to be pointing lower than it is. The angle of reflection of the signal of the dish means that the Sat. is actually higher in the sky than it looks when you look at the dish.

So you the trees may not really be even close yet.

What orcatek said.

The elevation number from the point dish screen is "real". The dish appears to be looking a good 20+ degrees lower than that.

The satellite and transponder on entry to Point Dish will probably be the one that carries the last channel you were looking at. Your numbers appear to be OK, although we use transponders 11 & 12 o 110 & 119 for apple-to-apples comparisons.

Without knowing your location we can't do anything about explaining 110 vs. 119 strengths - or if they can be fixed (probably not worth screwing with it, tho).

the glitches you speak of could be anything - most of them having nothing to do with signal strength - insufficient data to comment further.

Offroad said:
I went into the "point dish" section in setup on the 811 this morning, and it was using Transponder 13. The 119 bird showed 114 on signal, and the 110 showed 95 on signal.

your signal straingth is good... 119 is allways going to be stronger than 110 because thats the bird that installers use to point at.. as long as your sig straintgth is above 80 you will be good.. Dont see any reason why you would want to repoint.. after all that may be the best you can get for your area

Take a look at the thread called "Jerky Dish HD Especially TNDHD", you are experiencing the same thing are the rest of us are - join the club - it's a software issue, and there is nothing you can do about it.

I think I read somewhere on this forum that Dish said that one of the next releases of software will address the issue, notice I didn't assume that it would CORRECT the problem, only time will tell if their hackers - I mean programmers have corrected the problem.

Or some on the forum think that the problem is that Dish is putting too much data through the transponders that issue the HD content. Either way it's out of your hands.

Regards

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)