How much do E* installers make???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jimmy J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Wallingford, VT.
My nephew is considering becoming an E* installer. He drove past a local installer/contractor's??? and saw a sign that they were looking for installers and mentioned it to me. He then asked how much I thought they make.

I haven't the foggiest, but since I'm a member here, I told him I'd ask here on the forum. Any ideas on how much a E* installer makes?:confused:

Depends on the company. I work for InstallPro and get $70 for one room and +20 for each additional room. $40 for service calls. Workload varies from 2 calls to 7 calls/day. I pay for everything (including gas, cable, connectors, tools, etc) except for electronics. I've been grossing an average of $800/week (6 days/week), and gas alone consumes 15% of that. Hardly surviving in this big city.

I would caution you that some companies have terrible cultures, because the pay is not the greatest and these days the good techs have moved on leaving some of the dregs. Don Lors is one of these awful companies. I hear you must fight to keep them from ripping off your pay

It's a job which requires resourcefulness as you are on your own, and technical skill in for example sorting out 14 unlabelled wires in a network box in a short time and troubleshooting all sorts of problems.

It's a job with alot of freedom, and with the right company is not bad. It's only temporary for me, to pay the bills while I get a contracting company started.

The tech that regulaly works on my dish installs and troubleshooting tells a very similar story. They aren't payed all that well and the higher gas prices aren't helping either.

The tech that regulaly works on my dish installs and troubleshooting tells a very similar story. They aren't payed all that well and the higher gas prices aren't helping either.

it really depends on the type of company that is doing the hiring.

I work for an RSP (Regional Service Provider) and most of our guys do "piecework" meaning they are paid by the job. not by the hour. guys that use thier own vehicle (POV) get paid more but must pay for thier own veh gas/maintenace. those that operate company vehicles (COV) get paid a little less, but dont pay for gas/maintenance. All of the employees are provided all equipment and supplies to do the job (with the exception of personal tools).

POV's can work straight from home and must have internet.

COV's must start at the shop and end at the shop everyday.

Great Techs earn over $70,000 gross per year here.

Average Techs earn around $40k annually.

Newbies and bad performers make far less.

Its all up to the guy to get er done.

Its good work if you are creative, a good "generalist", a self-starter, motivated, and can "hang".

Its not for everybody - some guys try it and fail miserably.

Hey thanks guys for all the replies. I'll pass it on to my nephew. The company is actually based out of Schenectady NY, Prime Service Center. Anyone ever heard of them, or works/ed for them? Good or bad? Once again, Thanks.

Hey thanks guys for all the replies. I'll pass it on to my nephew. The company is actually based out of Schenectady NY, Prime Service Center. Anyone ever heard of them, or works/ed for them? Good or bad? Once again, Thanks.
My installer works for Prime. He alternates 6 and 7 day weeks and those are 12 hour days. He said he is making 100k, but it's killing him. He brought his wife with him on the Sunday install he did for me.

My installer works for Prime. He alternates 6 and 7 day weeks and those are 12 hour days. He said he is making 100k, but it's killing him. He brought his wife with him on the Sunday install he did for me.
I would highly doubt a tech making 100k A YEAR. That sounds like hoohah to me. Unless he works with his wife, so he can see her awake, so he can do 7 jobs a day, 7 days a week, 12 hour days. Must have a great personal life. I would NOT believe that one.

I would highly doubt a tech making 100k A YEAR. That sounds like hoohah to me. Unless he works with his wife, so he can see her awake, so he can do 7 jobs a day, 7 days a week, 12 hour days. Must have a great personal life. I would NOT believe that one.

I didn't think that installers worked on Sundays...I mean I could be wrong? Also, if the guy claims to making a 100k a year, what kind life outside of working could he possibly have???

I didn't think that installers worked on Sundays...I mean I could be wrong? Also, if the guy claims to making a 100k a year, what kind life outside of working could he possibly have???

The last installer I had here when I got my 722 told me he works everyday of the year, with the exception of Christmas, but has been known to work as late as 10pm on christmas eve one year. He told me the christmas holiday period is one of the busiest times of the year. He also isn't married and works for interech here in upstate ny.

Prime Service did my install, HD upgrade, and have been here on a few service calls. I don't know what they are like to work for, but the guys they sent have been excellent. They do it once and do it right, and have worked for them for a few years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)