how much does dish pay for a channel

i don't understand why espn 2 is about $3.50 cheaper than espn,they show mostly the same things except for a few things and i know nascar is one of them,the race is always on espn not espn 2
Odds are, ESPN doesn't offer ESPN2 by itself. Does anyone know of any provider that offers ESPN2 and not ESPN ?

I think the price is per sub not per customer. I am sure not every single dish customer has espn in their monthly subscription. I only suscribe to international channels and don't have espn so I don't think dish will be paying $5 to espn for me even though i don't even have espn in my package. I know other ppl too that only sub to international channels and not american packages. i might be wrong, but math should be $4.95 x numbers of subs to particular channel(espn).

Actually, many MVPD's do indeed spread the cost of expensive channels in order to keep the subscriptions as low as they can, especially for the lowest level that has the lowest subscription price to the customer but the HIGHEST rates paid to the channels because they are the most popular and highest rated channels, such is the case with ESPN and others. Ironically, the cheapest channels are on the higher packages. The MVPD's make much more money there.

That means you could be paying a small amount to subsidize the high rates of other channels provided to other/different customers. In other words, we are ALL paying something for the most expensive channels such as ESPN. The cost MUST be spread around or a package or service in general would be TOO HIGH a price for the customer to pay.

i don't understand why espn 2 is about $3.50 cheaper than espn,they show mostly the same things except for a few things and i know nascar is one of them,the race is always on espn not espn 2

ESPN2 is significantly cheaper because Disney wants to make it easy to get ESPN2 in as many homes and subscribers as possible. First there is the additional ad revenue. Then, after some time, subscribers become accustomed to viewing ESPN2, along with it back-up programming use, and now ESPN2 may have some value that subscribers feel they appreciate, and that is the point at which Disney will ask significantly more for ESPN2 when the contracts near an end.

All the media companies do this: get secondary channel in at a low ball rate, then increase the value or it and ask a lot more money or a whole lot of your subscribers won't have our channel and you'll be sorry.

This is where the game of chicken comes in if an MVPD fells there isn't value in that channel, they will drop it, or pay if the MVPD fells it has become a channel it subscribers value.

ESPN2 is significantly cheaper because Disney wants to make it easy to get ESPN2 in as many homes and subscribers as possible. First there is the additional ad revenue. Then, after some time, subscribers become accustomed to viewing ESPN2, along with it back-up programming use, and now ESPN2 may have some value that subscribers feel they appreciate, and that is the point at which Disney will ask significantly more for ESPN2 when the contracts near an end.

All the media companies do this: get secondary channel in at a low ball rate, then increase the value or it and ask a lot more money or a whole lot of your subscribers won't have our channel and you'll be sorry.

This is where the game of chicken comes in if an MVPD fells there isn't value in that channel, they will drop it, or pay if the MVPD fells it has become a channel it subscribers value.

i hope that there are no big increases,if there is our bills will go way up in 2013

Yes but our rates won't go up in 2012. Dish promised.
Except for the America's Everything Pack. That's not part of the price guarantee and I have a feeling that by Feb 2012, the price for that package will go up another $5 to cover any costs that are in the smaller packages, if that makes sense.

Except for the America's Everything Pack. That's not part of the price guarantee and I have a feeling that by Feb 2012, the price for that package will go up another $5 to cover any costs that are in the smaller packages, if that makes sense.

The America's Everything Pack is not part of the price guarantee because the premium movie channels contracts are up this year, and DISH is not sure what that is going to become of it. And also the price lock is also for receiver fees as well.

This is why All channels should be alacarte. I am not a sports fan at all. I have watched less than ten hours of sports in the last year but even in the least expensive package dish sells I have to buy ESPN. Same goes for cable and Direct.

I am sorry but ESPN specifically should be made into a premium channel just like HBO. I for instance would gladly trade Espn that cost $4.08 a month for History Int., Hallmark Movie, Military, National Geo, and Science Chanel and all of those channels combined cost Dish less than $.50 a month. I am basically subsidizing the programming of sports fans and missing thing I would like because to get what I would like would require an even higher level package.

I understand that if everything was ala carte the price of all channels would go up a lot but I am OK with that because even though ESPN would be $10 a month instead of $4.08 and the Military channel and science channel would be $.50 each as apposed to $.07 each that’s fine. Let the people interested in the content pay what it cost to provide it and the people that are not interested pay nothing and if a channel can not find enough people interested in their content and willing to pay what it cost to provide it let them go away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)