How much internet usage used if I plug in ethernet cable?

stylus277

Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
Waterville Maine USA
Hello,

I have Dish HD w/DVR 1 receiver. I don't have a home phone so it keeps popping up and complaining about the $5 a month.

I have a Verizon Wireless 3G account with a DLink router to share it. My Verizon account is capped at 5Gb a month with overage charges so I don't want to go over. I am wondering how much Dish will use my internet connection if I plug it in?

I chatted with tech support they said "320GB = 320,00MB does that help?"

Thanks

I sincerely hope that what tech support was talking about was your HD size in your HDDVR and not bandwidth useage.

It shouldn't use hardly any bandwidth unless you use the VOD and such I think.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along with a more definitive answer.

While I can't say for sure, I do think it's a very small amount. Mine has been connected this way since day one for the same purposes you are considering it. I've had zero problems. There is no way..now way it is 320GB. That's just insanity. :)

It does not use much bandwidth unless you download programs, especially 1080p programs. Dish has a long list of programming for download and lots of it is free.

Stylus277, is that the only receiver you have? Because at some point earlier this year they were supposed to have waived the requirement for a single dual-tuner receiver to call home -- which only makes sense since the two tuners cannot possibly be in two different customers' premises. I never bothered to disconnect mine so I can't say whether this was actually implemented or not, but it would be nice to know if it wasn't!

Stylus277, is that the only receiver you have? Because at some point earlier this year they were supposed to have waived the requirement for a single dual-tuner receiver to call home -- which only makes sense since the two tuners cannot possibly be in two different customers' premises. I never bothered to disconnect mine so I can't say whether this was actually implemented or not, but it would be nice to know if it wasn't!

No, there's still a charge if you aren't connected (phone line or internet) so the dual tuner receiver can call "home" once a month. I think they started calling it something different to ease the charge:D
I still "force" a call on my one 622 once a month, it's not continuously hooked up to the land line, that works for me to save the $5 monthly charge. One of these days when money isn't so tight I'll spring for the game adapter (think that's what it's called) so I can do the call out thru the router. Of course I'll hafta read some of the "how to" posts here so my non-technical self won't screw up the setup:eek:

No, there's still a charge if you aren't connected (phone line or internet) so the dual tuner receiver can call "home" once a month. I think they started calling it something different to ease the charge:D

Well there ISN'T supposed to be! So if there is, somebody needs to get in touch with Dish and find out what their problem is.

as has already been said, unless YOU download something, it should be very very little usage per month (defenately less than a meg)

Well there still is a charge. My bill states "TV2 Receiver Connection - $5.00" :(. Just another of those "because we can" fee.

I think Dish reworded the fee, instead of saying "save $5 by having your receiver hooked to a phone line" (because subs were thinking, "geez, I ain't saving $5, what's up with Dish, where's my savings":D); they started actually telling the truth by saying, "Avoid an additional $5 charge by having your rec hooked up to a phone line/internet". Seems like they "rebranded" the fee at that point by calling it a "tv2 connection". Now if that ain't confusing enough to the average sub:rolleyes:. The fee indeed is alive & well.

Why haven't we heard of this before then? I think it was like February that it was supposed to have been abolished!

Why haven't we heard of this before then? I think it was like February that it was supposed to have been abolished!
I signed up in February and saw it on my first bill (even though official word had come out about it be abolished) so I called it had it corrected -- and I haven't seen the charge since. Furthermore, my 722 has never once complained about needing to make a call. Based on my experience with DISH, I suspect they are still charging the fee to people who haven't called to inquire about it. In my opinion, DISH is a rather unscrupulous company -- and that starts with the CEO himself (who blatantly lied the future of the TurboHD packages). :mad:

TV2 fee

Yeah, I went to all cell phones after the discussions in February on this board. Well, they started charging me so I chatted with them online today. The CSR said, no, you have to have it connected but supposedly gave me a $5 credit for 6 months. I'll wait till then and call again.

25 to 30 bytes a month.
My ViP622 is a whole lot more active than that. Might have something to do with being registered with Sling, but it seems like it was pretty active before the remote record features started testing with DISH.

In any case, it probably won't be the difference between blowing over and not. 5GB is a short evening of usenet binaries for me.

As of February, the first dual tuner receiver does not incur the $5 phone line fee, and subsequent dual tuner receivers will.

As of February, the first dual tuner receiver does not incur the $5 phone line fee, and subsequent dual tuner receivers will.

The charge is still alive & well, here's

DISH Network - Customer Service - 1.888.825.2557

a link to the miscellaneous fees as of today. I think there was a rumor:D that the fee was going away but it doesn't appear that is has. Didn't the $7 access fee get changed on Feb 1st?

(It's listed as "tv2 connection")

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)