How much is the Hopper upgrade costing you?

I just chatted with them and they told me it would be $99 for a hopper + 2 joeys, $15 for isntall with protection plan and $30 for the sling adapter.
The whole upgrade would be $145 aprox but I'm holding off since I have 3 tvs and one of them isn't HD (Joeys have no SD option)

I just chatted with them and they told me it would be $99 for a hopper + 2 joeys, $15 for isntall with protection plan and $30 for the sling adapter.
The whole upgrade would be $145 aprox but I'm holding off since I have 3 tvs and one of them isn't HD (Joeys have no SD option)

The Joey's can be hooked up to SD TV's, they have composite out on the back, unless your TV does not have composite, then you would have to get an RF modulator.

When I called dish I was told that since I only have 1 hd tv I could not get an upgrade...

DIRT said that I could get 1H/2J with the Joeys on sd tv

Love the Hopper so far

I totally missed this, Thanks! now I will get the hopper :)

I'm paying this for a 922 and 211k

America's Top 120
HD Receiver
PR Receiver Property Tax
PR Receiver Property Tax
DVR Service
Protection Plan
HD 120 Free PR/VI ($10/Mo)
Total
$69.53

So if I switch to a hopper and 2 joeys I would be paying $7 more a month for the second joey? Aprox $76 a month + taxes?

I can't tell for sure - are you presently watching two or three TV's?

The Hopper and two Joeys will supply three TV's in HD. The Hopper has no fee as the first receiver, so the Joeys will be $14 (for two) and a $4 whole home fee, and a $6 DVR fee.
So your total fees will be $24. Your present total fees appear to be $17, so yes it would appear you will pay $7 more.

Yeah I have a total of 3 TV's
the 922 is in room #1, its TV2 output is for sling and room #2
the 211k I have is for room #3

I'm thinking about upgrading soon but I think I'm going to wait until april and see if dish rolls out BBMP to the 922. with my current setup I just don't see the need for a hopper system yet. Time will tell :)

They are no longer are selling the 922, don't hold your breath for any upgrades. But stranger things have happened!

I doubt you will see BMPP on the 922, as DISH will tell you to upgrade to the Hopper. But wait! Since DISH has a shoddy system for upgrades that isn't consistent you will be forced to pay $700+ to upgrade! What a deal!! :D

I was not going to upgrade. I was planning on switching to the Directv HR34 in a couple months when my contract expired but I did an online chat just out of curiosity. I couldn't be more pleased. They are giving me 2 hoppers and 3 joeys with no upfront costs what so ever. I canceled the Dish home protection thing a few months ago and she still gave me free installation and no upfront costs. I am just going to drop Blockbuster Movie pass to make up for the increase in equipment fees. This will be an amazing system once my hoppers are integrated.

I was not going to upgrade. I was planning on switching to the Directv HR34 in a couple months when my contract expired but I did an online chat just out of curiosity. I couldn't be more pleased. They are giving me 2 hoppers and 3 joeys with no upfront costs what so ever. I canceled the Dish home protection thing a few months ago and she still gave me free installation and no upfront costs. I am just going to drop Blockbuster Movie pass to make up for the increase in equipment fees. This will be an amazing system once my hoppers are integrated.

Sounds very sketchy.

there is no option for zero upfront costs for existing customers. Only new customers can waive the first hopper fee by subscribing to the Top 200 or higher.

online chat is notoriously unreliable. If it were me, i'd contact the DIRT team and confirm.

Last edited:
Or you can let it go and see if they'll hold to the quoted price. Ya never know. Hope you saved the chat you had with the CSR.

Or you can let it go and see if they'll hold to the quoted price. Ya never know. Hope you saved the chat you had with the CSR.

yep, but you can expect a $200 charge for those two hoppers. Maybe more if the CSR flat out lied and you are Plan C. ;)

I agree on the online chat.. they told me a box will be shipped out in a couple of days to return a receiver. After a week I called, and the CSR said no request was ever received.
Better to go online if it involves money (yours!) and get the name of the CSR along with date/time contacted.

You guys were right. Basically everything the online chat told me was wrong. I just got off the phone with Matt from Dirt. I asked for my service address to be changed, Matt told me it wasn't. I asked for 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys, Matt told me they had me down for 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. They told me there would be no upfront costs, Matt told me it was showing $200 plus installation.

He was very helpful. I still have to pay the $200 but he fixed my order to give me 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys like I asked for. He was able to waive the installation fee for me for my trouble.

I did print out my chat with the regular CSR for proof but I felt the $200 was a fair price so I'm not going to try to fight that. Basically Matt saved me a very frustrating Sunday morning. I would have been upset if all these costs were sprung on me last minute and I was short a Joey.

If Dish cannot provide equipment that works and then penalizes a customer for their failures, that is a real shame. To lay t hat on the customer is wrong.
I totally agree. However, when one customer has a much higher return rate than the average, then Dish also has the right to suspect that customer (maybe not giving the equipment enough ventilation, for example).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)