How much longer will MicroSoft Last

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Stargazer:

That'll work for most users. For those of us that are heavy users, there's no such thing as too many monitors. These days I really need 3 active monitors, one for Outlook. one for RDP sessions and one for Unix sessions / general work. 2 just isn't cutting it.

There are always going to be heavy computer users. I have 3 monitors on my desk, but most of the time I only use one of them. A tablet to replace my computers at this stage is not going to work. Perhaps in a few years though the tablet may be able to do it if you had the ability to dock it and it could drive multiple screens.

But, that being said I think that Apple has proven that for the vast majority of home use a tablet can replace a computer for most home use. Email/Facebook/web surfing are probably the only tasks most homes do. Businesses are a different matter, but over time I can see the tablet making headway there too.

mike:

The big thing with tablets taking over a lot of the day to day work at offices is (as I think we've both said) when they can connect up to external KVM to do day to day stuff.

Maybe this will be when virtualized desktops actually take off.

Time will tell.

The problem with Microsoft is not the product line. They still sell plenty of hardware and software. The problem with Microsoft is Steve Balmer. He needs to go! He never should have taken the reins. He is not smart enough to lead a company like Microsoft, probably not even a small division. Microsoft survived other bad OS before and having a prior good one keeps the company rolling. Millennium was probably the biggest flop followed by Vista. XP was great and so was 2000.

As for the tablet enterprise switch, John, I don't think your thinking is how that is going to happen. Docking stations won't be necessary as everything will work wirelessly. You put your tablet down and just sit at a keyboard and screen at your desk, not even a CPU box. The screen will be combination touch and mouse. Everything you do on the tablet while up from your desk will be resident on a server that your desk work station, tablet, as well as your smart phone have access to. You'll use which device is appropriate for where you are with the smartphone being the most mobile, the tablet when you need to see a bit more and can carry it, and the desk workstation when large workload is necessary. In a business environment, no one will need a KVM access center for their tablets. Just two mobile devices and your U.I. plus password. FYI- Using Logmein, I am doing this now at home and I mix ios and win7 pro!

On the business side, Microsoft has plenty of cash, $72B and is growing presently at 7%. I do predict Steve Balmer being replaced and then maybe the company spinning off certain divisions like the XBOX game group. I think the Surface Pro is a good idea but it's too early to see if this will be a success. My guess is it will in a year. With the company paying a 3.4% dividend, I have begun to build a small position in the stock since September, picking up a few shares on the pull backs. The government's fiscal cliff has created many buying opportunities, including Microsoft but not so much, like Apple. For Microsoft, the pull back was likely due to the Surface RT being such a failure against ipad and Android. My plan is if Surface Pro gives me a pop in the stock I will sell off enough to break even and cover my investment, then ride the rest until doomsday. ( not this Friday :) ) Investors need to have a catalyst to buy and Surface Pro seems unique enough to be that at this time. If not, then at least I have a 3.4% ROI until the company is broke, unlikely.

maybe the company spinning off certain divisions like the XBOX game group. .
I think Xbox is there to stay. I've been playing with Windows 8 and Surface since they came out and Xbox is a key part of the new systems. It's not just the games. They are concentrating their music services into Xbox with it being their alternative to ITunes. I always thought it was just a game platform and was surprised to find that I really like the Xbox music services. Still exploring what else it does.

I think Xbox is there to stay. I've been playing with Windows 8 and Surface since they came out and Xbox is a key part of the new systems. It's not just the games. They are concentrating their music services into Xbox with it being their alternative to ITunes. I always thought it was just a game platform and was surprised to find that I really like the Xbox music services. Still exploring what else it does.

Xbox is much much more than gaming. It is a distribution box for all kinds of stuff like video, music, streaming netflix, etc...

I like Xbox Kinect for the exercise games but usually turn to my PS3 when I need Netflix or a backup BluRay Player. I'm never able to find the time to learn any of the games. Too many movies to watch or video I shot that needs editing. Kinect is really an amazing technology. But, I believe that if Xbox could be spun off then Microsoft would no longer hold back the opportunity this technology can do.

I like Xbox Kinect for the exercise games but usually turn to my PS3 when I need Netflix or a backup BluRay Player. I'm never able to find the time to learn any of the games. Too many movies to watch or video I shot that needs editing. Kinect is really an amazing technology. But, I believe that if Xbox could be spun off then Microsoft would no longer hold back the opportunity this technology can do.

Have you ever tried navigating Netflix with just your voice using Kinect? It's by far the most useful utility for the device in our household. Due to space restrictions I don't play as many games anymore with it. Rumors of the next Kinect reading lips, detecting emotion, etc... the next Xbox tightly integrated into the ecosystem of the most popular OS in the world and accessible over most tablets and phones... MS and Xbox aren't going anywhere.

There best OS to this date is Windows 7

I think once people get past the negative PR of the UI, and the nostalgia of XP, Windows 8 will be considered their best OS ever.

.......I think once people get past the negative PR of the UI, and the nostalgia of XP, Windows 8 will be considered their best OS ever.

So do you smoke it or have the brownies? ;)

You may be right, but I have my doubts. And I suspect our accounting system will be long in producing a W8 compatible version. And I can see a huge learning curve, especially for non-smartphone users. And a demand, which will remain unmet, for large, widescreen touch sensitive screens.

I can't imagine the products we will see 5 years from now, looking back at 5 years ago.

If it works in 7 it almost certainly works in 8 though, and once you show people how to search, and how to click the 'Desktop' button they can digest the rest of the OS at their own pace.

Unlike Vista, the product isn't justifying the PR.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Unlike Vista, the product isn't justifying the PR.

Actually it does justify the bad PR. When it is shown that a third party utility can easily restore the desktop and start menu, you have to wonder what MS was thinking yanking it out and forcing a transition. Yes, I know, they fired the guy, but why not patch back in the start button? Apple at least apologized for Apple maps and approved the Google maps apps back.

If the new UI is so nifty people will switch over on their own. MS DOS is still available (and yes I still use it on occasion), but I would think it is safe to say most people have shifted over to the windows interface. Having MS DOS available did not prevent the adoption of the windows interface.

Actually it does justify the bad PR. When it is shown that a third party utility can easily restore the desktop and start menu, you have to wonder what MS was thinking yanking it out and forcing a transition. Yes, I know, they fired the guy, but why not patch back in the start button? Apple at least apologized for Apple maps and approved the Google maps apps back.

If the new UI is so nifty people will switch over on their own. MS DOS is still available (and yes I still use it on occasion), but I would think it is safe to say most people have shifted over to the windows interface. Having MS DOS available did not prevent the adoption of the windows interface.

And which 3rd party utility was able to fix Vista and Windows ME? Those are the kinds of comparisons being made to Windows 8. So yeah, my point still stands... because that's the kind of comparison 8 is getting and it's better in just about every way then one of their best OS's ever in 7. Somehow the ability to undo the biggest change (which translates to 'problem' for some) for $4.99 is a negative? That's quite a reach in itself.

Edit: Don't take my word for it, read what Rey posted in the biggest disappointment thread :p

And which 3rd party utility was able to fix Vista and Windows ME? Those are the kinds of comparisons being made to Windows 8. So yeah, my point still stands... because that's the kind of comparison 8 is getting and it's better in just about every way then one of their best OS's ever in 7. Somehow the ability to undo the biggest change (which translates to 'problem' for some) for $4.99 is a negative? That's quite a reach in itself.

Edit: Don't take my word for it, read what Rey posted in the biggest disappointment thread :p
I wouldn't say it is a negative. But since there are a lot of people undoing the change does tell you what many of the consumers think of Windows 8.

I wouldn't say it is a negative. But since there are a lot of people undoing the change does tell you what many of the consumers think of Windows 8.

What qualifies as a lot? Start8 has been downloaded 117k times since late November. With 4 million Windows 8 upgrades the first 4 days and 40 million licenses sold the first month, the number of people hiding then start menu with this specific app borders on statistically insignificant... especially with that download total including free trials. This information is available because they funnel everyone through download.com.

A lot of the noise is simply people not wanting to change, very natural. Thankfully there is an option for those that must absolutely have it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The PC (desktop/laptop) is shrinking and nothing is going to turn it around.

Apple is maintaining unit sales which translates into a higher percentage of the market.

The surface tablets and WP8 devices (which they need to stay competitive in the actual growing market) are not seeking well.

They've made the "brilliant" decision to make the next iteration of one of their cash cows (Office) subscription based. This will push a lot of people, maybe most users, away from the product.

Sorry, I don't see the same rosy future for MS that you do.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)