Amazon will soon share your home Wi-Fi with strangers’ devices

Can you point out that section of the terms and conditions? If it is mentioned in the T&C now, but wasn't a year ago, shouldn't users be notified and be asked to agree to revised terms and conditions?

This creates a slippery slope and an extremely dangerous precedent.

I tried to turn this off on my wife's Alexa, but there was nothing in the settings to do this.
Perhaps she's logged into her own account without any known (to Amazon) Alexa devices. Just speculating here.
I understand there is a piece of property available in Lincoln Montana that is available. You’ll have to build your own cabin, though. The FBI took away the previous one. And they may have some questions for you, such as do you have any wood working skills.....
Again, your reference is lost on me. The only thing I can Google that might pertain to Lincoln, Montana is the Unabomber.

Not as far as I can tell. I've looked all over Amazon, and they only have instructions to disable it through their apps. If you've found it, I'd like for your to share those instructions.
I had read about it in one of the articles but hadn't tried it myself since I have the app. Now that I look a little further I don't see it. In fact an article in PC Magazine says that, "(You can't get to it on the desktop.)"

Just follow the steps as described in pc magazine (mentioned above). It is very easy to do.
I live in the sticks, still see few neighbors' networks on my pc. I use several Amazon products (Echo and some speakers). I used the Alexa app on my phone and turned that feature off. I am pretty sure Amazon has good intentions, but it makes me feel uncomfortable.
The default settings on any device will always benefit the companies. Remember the web browser 'Internet Explorer' installed on newly purchased computers? Compared to others, it was junk. Most people didn't bother deleting and trying a different browser. It took years for people to realize there were better alternatives out there.
Amazon knows that same pattern will take place here. Vast majority won't hear or bother to switch it off.

I did turn mine off. Given what Scott posted above I do intend to pay attention to what is done with Sidewalk. Perhaps there will be some benefits we are not aware of yet.

Reactions: sktrus and TRG
Copied and pasted from pc magazine:

How to Opt Out of Sidewalk​

Shutting off Sidewalk is simple. In the Alexa mobile app on your smartphone or tablet, go to More > Settings > Account Settings > Amazon Sidewalk. (You can't get to it on the desktop.) Click the toggle so it reads as "Disabled." Now you won't have to worry about Sidewalk at all. Your networked items will work as they always have. (If you don't see the Sidewalk option, your Amazon device likely isn't compatible with Sidewalk.)

Gentlemen, many thanks but... Navy already answered my question to him 3 hours ago.

Other than the Unabomber being a awful, terrible person and Amazon being an awful, terrible company, I don't see how the two are related.

Ted Kaczynski and Bezos don't even look a like, Kaczynski has a normal shaped head and ears.

• Haha
Reactions: primestar31

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts