How New Processing Technology Might Make Ultra HD and HDR Broadcasting A Reality

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
During the transition to HDTV, Yves Faroudja won three Emmys for processing technology that remains in use today. And now the award-winning engineer is using his experience to take aim at new formats including Ultra HD, or 4K, which is four times the resolution of HD.

“Bandwidth requirements for video are clogging the Internet, and we need to reduce the bit rate on the video system,” he told The Hollywood Reporter.

“HD, even when it was difficult to implement, appeared to be a necessity. … The question now is do I see a difference between HD and 4K. And my answer is yes. I’m not skeptical now, I believe it has value, but not as much as (standard definition) to HDTV.

Alongside Ultra HD, he said, “4K needs more HDR. it has to be improved.” This effectively means widening the range between the brightest whites and darkest blacks that a display can reproduce—and this is something that companies including Dolby and Technicolor are already aiming to bring to the market.

hollywoodreporter.com

Huh. He thinks he can compress 2X more than even H265 by pre and post-processing?

He's pretty down on 3D, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)