How often do you reboot your 522's?

kbohip

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
Colorado Springs
I ask this question because mine locked up a few days ago. I had never rebooted it since I bought it new, but that was only a few weeks ago. I'm thinking I might just start rebooting it every week in the hopes of staving off a crash. I'm really concerned that it might crash on a weekday morning and by the time I get home from work it will have been to late for me to get my programs recorded. Is it pretty normal for these to lock up every couple of weeks? Does rebooting every week help?

Last time I did a reboot (for preventive reasons) I lost my timer schedule. Still had the timers but nothing was firing. So I'm hesitant to do it now, even after the 235 update. Hate to have to reprogram everything, especially since we're in the time of season finales. Hopefully I can hold off 'till the summer when I'm not recording as much!

Well that's good news then. I was thinking they must freeze up every couple of weeks. I'll just leave mine go until the next time it crashes. Maybe this first time was a fluke.

SOOOO... I hear the term "reboot" quite often (like in this thread).. but for us who don't know.. how DO you reboot? I tried searching for this.. but there are too many posts with the term that I can't sift through them all.

First of all, many of you are clearly smoking crack. Eight relevant replies to the original poster and not one person mention that probably everyone here reboots their 522 once a day.

You see, E* has poor software writers and to make up for MEMORY LEAK problems with their 522 they have made the 522 to reboot every day at the "daily update" when you get the new guide. This is default unless you go and tell it not to "update" (reboot) every single day at 3am or whatever time you set.

To answer the original poster's question, I reboot the 522 at least twice a day. I have the daily update (REBOOT) turned off because it's annoying, so I manual reboot once a day when I feel like it to have a daily reboot and to get the new guide. And then I usually do another manual reboot about 12 hours away from that to keep things working right. I might also have to throw another manual reboot in there somewhere from time to time too, if the closed caption, caller ID, rewind, record, audio/video sync, or some other problems gets bad with the receiver.

CopyChief said:
Last time I did a reboot (for preventive reasons) I lost my timer schedule. Still had the timers but nothing was firing. So I'm hesitant to do it now, even after the 235 update. Hate to have to reprogram everything

CopyChief, yes this is a somewhat common problem. It can even happen to you at the 3am update without doing "preventive reboot" as you call it. When it happens that you reboot and the timers don't work right, just keep manual rebooting it one or two times in a row and they will start to work right again. You don't need to redo all of your timers. Sorry.

Lol, I didn't know the 522 auto rebooted every day. So everyone does reboot theirs everyday whether they think they do or not. I think I'll turn off the auto reboot "feature" and find out just how stable (or most likely unstable) a 522 is. I'll wait until the repeats start coming on though ;).

GetMeABeer said:
...When it happens that you reboot and the timers don't work right, just keep manual rebooting it one or two times in a row and they will start to work right again. You don't need to redo all of your timers.
How do you know when you've rebooted enough times to "fix your timers"? :confused:

One thing I noticed when the schedule didn't list events I had timers for is that after rebooting the schedule slowly started listing the events. I went to the schedule list several times and each time a few more events were listed. It must have been running a process to find all of the matches that took a few minutes to complete.

maximum said:
One thing I noticed when the schedule didn't list events I had timers for is that after rebooting the schedule slowly started listing the events. I went to the schedule list several times and each time a few more events were listed. It must have been running a process to find all of the matches that took a few minutes to complete.

Yes maximum, this is what I explain and describe in the other page I mentioned above.

GetMeABeer said:
Yes maximum, this is what I explain and describe in the other page I mentioned above.
Guess I should have specified that I only rebooted once, not multiple times like you suggested. The point is to be patient and give it time to build the schedule after rebooting.

I would have to say I have numerous problems with E* boxes, but I have been fortunate with my 522. It only has locked up once on me. Now my 510 with the new 300 software requires about 2 reboots a day for me. I have a few 522 problems, mainly picture and audio but nothing too bad. I don't know what the deal is but it seems like certain bootstraps may be the culprit, or switches because a lot of people seem to have to reboot the 522 too frequent. In about 2 months of having it, 1 reboot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)