How ota sub channels be accessed ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ctcohen04

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 3, 2004
Okay, I've searched here, Dishnetwork and google....and no answer found

Is it possible to access ota sub channels directly from the remote (i.e by punching in numbers)? Of course I know I can do it from the guide, but I am trying to set up a Harmony universal remote and this is the last small bug. There is no (-) dash to enter say channel 012-01.

I am starting to think it is impossible, but then I think: "never say never" It is not too big a deal, just trying to set up some favorite channels.

Thanks

Terry

Iceberg said:
or for single numbers, 0501

Single digit numbers have to be preceded with two zeros and the zero before the subchannel does NOT have to be entered....so OTA subchannel 5.1 would be entered as 0051, 5.2 would be entered as 0052.

In the case of double digit numbered subchannels like 13.2 you need enter only 1 zero as in 0132.

At least this is how things work for the VIP211/411. I am sure it would be the same for the 622.

Last edited:
but when you leave out zeros it takes longer for the channel to be changed..

Well, all of the above suggetions, except the skip button acting like a . or - work with the Dish remote. However, this Harmony remote drops the preceeding zeroes when they are put in the channel number for favorites. So will have to see if there is a workaround for that....

All for favorite channels on the universal remote which I probably won't even use that much.

Thanks for al the replies.

Terry

Sub Channels with Harmony Remote

I have a Harmony 880 universal remote that I purchased just after getting my VIP622. When I tried to program OTA sub channels in, i.e. 013-01, into the Favorites, I ran into the leading Zero being dropped problem. Harmony had no answer.
By accident, I found out I could directly enter the Channel Number, 13 and the HD OTA channel would come up. I do have the Satellite Locals Disabled in Local Channels
Set up.
I put the Channel Number into the Favorites and when the channel locks, I channel up on the remote.
This is not perfect, but it works.

James Daniel Bishop

Thanks for that info James

I am going to call Harmony this am, probably will get the same response that you did....but maybe since you called they "fixed" it. If not, which is probably the case, I will try your workaround. However, I don't understand one of your statements:

"I put the Channel Number into the Favorites and when the channel locks, I channel up on the remote"

Thanks

Terry

You can create a Favorites channel list in the receiver that excludes that satellite locals, i.e. channel "12", and instead only have "012-01" listed. When you punch in channel 12 on your remote, you'll get the next highest channel. In this case, 012-01.

On 2nd thought, I'm not 100% sure about this.... It definitely does what I'm saying if you've got the program guide open.

Well, your 2nd thought was correct, it does work on a favorite list in program guide, but does not help just changing from one channel to another - just goes to the local satellite channel.

James - in my 622 I don't see any option to disable satellitye locals....either I am blind - probably the case - but I wonder is that is something that got disabled in current firmware updates. I will go look again at the 622 menus

I did call harmony - got bumped up to 2nd level support who after checking said it is a bug on their end. He said it was being turned over to their engineers....as the leading zeros should not be dropped. I will not hold my breath, but since I am in a DMA that will not likely get HD locals thru dish, would be a nice little thing to have.

Terry

You can't disable the satellite locals but you can give priority to the over-the-air locals vs the satellite-provided locals (and vis-versa). Not sure if that will help in this scenario.....

how do you give priority to the ota channels...I don't recall seeing any menu optin like that

Terry

okay, found out how to disable local sat channels - that won't work for my situation either, since I can't get ABC in any form over the over the air.

Oh well, all this for a minor problem with the remote....time to let it drop and if Harmony fixes the bug, great, otherwise I just won't access my two ota HD channels from the remote's favorite list

Terry

ctcohen04 said:
James - in my 622 I don't see any option to disable satellitye locals....either I am blind - probably the case - but I wonder is that is something that got disabled in current firmware updates. I will go look again at the 622 menus

Terry

The Disable Satellite Locals in accessed by doing the following Menus:
6 System Setup
9 Local Channels
Sat Locals
Disable.

I hope this helps. I am also glad to hear the Harmony is looking into the Leading Zero Problem.

James Daniel Bishop

I found this on Harmony's support site. I haven't had a chance to try it myself, so I can't verify that it works yet, but I will post my findings tomorrow:

Detailed Description
How do I add Digital Channels?

Answer
To change to a digital channel of the format X-XX or X.XX:

1. The remote needs to learn the "-" or "." command from your original remote. Click Devices next to your channel-tuning device and then click Learn infrared commands. This will display a page of commands.
2. Scroll down to the Learn a New Command field and enter "-" or ".".
3. Click Learn New Command and follow the instructions to teach the new command. Once the command is learned, you will be returned to the list of all commands. Click Done to return to your home page.
4. Click Activities and select the watch television type activity.
5. Select Set Up Favorite Channels and click Next.
6. Enter the channel numbers (example: 3-10).
7. Click Save when finished.
8. Update the remote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts