How reliable are Dish guide times?

sync

Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
I have Tivo and have never used the Dish guide. Now I'm getting a second receiver and hooking that up to a DVD recorder. So I'll have to start using the Dish event timers. Tivo is quite good at keeping up with shows whose start and end times often change. Is the Dish guide good at keeping up with that?

Nope. That is what NBR or Name Based recording is.

With Dish, you set a channel to record from point A to point B. Nothing else.

Well, those of us with a 522 DO have NBR. If he's a new customer, he should get one. I've noticed with NBR it records shows that normally would've gotten cut off. It's nice!
Sorry that you don't have it... :(

Are we talking about the same thing? The 301 receiver manual says "You can set an automatic event timer for a program listed with start and stop times in the Porgram Guide. A manual event timer allows you to set custom start and stop times for a timer."

I have a 522. On ocassion I will do a search for a movie that I want to record. Sometimes the movie is not scheduled to play for a few days out. I set to record it and low and behold when I go to view it a completely different movie got recorded at the time the movie I wanted to be recorded. This has happened to me on more then one occassion.

Briguy said:
I have a 522. On ocassion I will do a search for a movie that I want to record. Sometimes the movie is not scheduled to play for a few days out. I set to record it and low and behold when I go to view it a completely different movie got recorded at the time the movie I wanted to be recorded. This has happened to me on more then one occassion.
True, that is what happened up until now. All 522 users are in the process of getting the software upgrade. I was one of the FIRST to get it, and I've only had it a few days... A LOT of people still don't have it. When you do get the upgrade, you'll have NBR. Then it'll know that the movie changed, and record it instead of whatever was on in that timeslot.

bcshields said:
Nope. That is what NBR or Name Based recording is.

With Dish, you set a channel to record from point A to point B. Nothing else.

If Dish continues to get their Guide information from the same source for NBR, I'm not sure that it would be any more reliable than it's guide already is.

I can't recall who sources the guide data for Dish, but I can recall often finding incorrect listings of programs on the Dish guide, and finding the same errors on their sources' website. Thus their source being the cause of wrong shows and wrong times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts