How safe is it to sell your reciever?

I didn't bother following up earlier, but with the post above stating the contrary view, I'll add this. I recently gave my mom Sky Angel for Christmas using my old receiver. Dish Business Services (the folks who deal with Sky Angel subs) stated flatly that I could not disconnect my old receiver from my current account, and that my mother (or Sky Angel) would have to do it. And so they did. My experience with the usual Dish CS, as well as their Business Services division, is that the latter are far better trained.

Nevertheless, if RandallA says he did it, then presumably he found somebody who at least said they did it. How would he know whether it had really been removed from his old account, or not?

So I'm with you (and Dish Business Services) on this question.
That is WRONG!!! Now why would anyone else have the aurthority to disconnect YOUR receiver from YOUR acount?....
Another example of a poorly trained Dish CSR giving out false or incorrect info...Call back and try this...Tell the CSR to listen to the following ....You tell them you are disconnecting a receiver from your system...Make sure the reciver has been deactivated by the CSR..Get their name and operator ID.....Thank them and hang up....Call back in to Dish...HAve your mother tell dish she is subbing to Sky Angel..Have her give the Receiver and smart card no's tpo the CSR and complete the activation....There is no need to get into a converation about where the receiver came from or any other non pertinent info..
This is a very simple process. Should be hassle free if you follow these guidlines...
I hope this works out ok for you.......

That is WRONG!!! Now why would anyone else have the aurthority to disconnect YOUR receiver from YOUR acount?....
Another example of a poorly trained Dish CSR giving out false or incorrect info...Call back and try this...Tell the CSR to listen to the following ....You tell them you are disconnecting a receiver from your system...Make sure the reciver has been deactivated by the CSR..Get their name and operator ID.....Thank them and hang up....Call back in to Dish...HAve your mother tell dish she is subbing to Sky Angel..Have her give the Receiver and smart card no's tpo the CSR and complete the activation....There is no need to get into a converation about where the receiver came from or any other non pertinent info..
This is a very simple process. Should be hassle free if you follow these guidlines...
I hope this works out ok for you.......

*sigh* CSRs can ADD receivers to customer accounts, they can not completely remove one from appearing on an account. They can disable it so that it may be transferred from one account to another (and then tell you that it's been removed), but a CSR does not have the actual ability to take a receiver, and remove it completely from an account. (This is important, because redeployment DOES fully remove a unit from a customer account.)

When another tech calls in to activate the same receiver on a different account, the new CSR takes receiver *pickup* and transfers it to the new account *kerplunk!* but at ALL times, the receiver is tied to either the original account, or the new one.

And to answer the earlier question, RandallA can't know 100% beyond a reasonable doubt, so your statements are correct for that one Krell. But that said, I don't think it's accurate to state that what he said is 100% true either.

Didn't you ever wonder why so many EBay customers have difficulty turning on new equipment? This is why.

I've never seen the CSRs' software so I don't know exactly what they do with the receivers. All I said was that when I called, I told her that I wanted to "release" the receivers from my account so I could sell them. She then asked me for the R00 and S00 on each receiver and that was that. She said, you can sell them now. I've done this 3 times with 3 different receivers.

It's been recommended in the forums and I just wanted to make sure that my account wasn't tied up to those receivers anymore. That was my suggestion and like I said, I have no idea what the CSRs enter in their system.

You're using the term "disabled", I'm using the term "released". For the purpose of selling the receiver, to me it's the same.

*sigh* CSRs can ADD receivers to customer accounts, they can not completely remove one from appearing on an account. They can disable it so that it may be transferred from one account to another (and then tell you that it's been removed), but a CSR does not have the actual ability to take a receiver, and remove it completely from an account. (This is important, because redeployment DOES fully remove a unit from a customer account.)

When another tech calls in to activate the same receiver on a different account, the new CSR takes receiver *pickup* and transfers it to the new account *kerplunk!* but at ALL times, the receiver is tied to either the original account, or the new one.

And to answer the earlier question, RandallA can't know 100% beyond a reasonable doubt, so your statements are correct for that one Krell. But that said, I don't think it's accurate to state that what he said is 100% true either.

Didn't you ever wonder why so many EBay customers have difficulty turning on new equipment? This is why.
Correct. I forgot that detail..But EQ can of course be redeployed...But only after it is deactivated and the account is current

I've never seen the CSRs' software so I don't know exactly what they do with the receivers. All I said was that when I called, I told her that I wanted to "release" the receivers from my account so I could sell them. She then asked me for the R00 and S00 on each receiver and that was that. She said, you can sell them now. I've done this 3 times with 3 different receivers.

It's been recommended in the forums and I just wanted to make sure that my account wasn't tied up to those receivers anymore. That was my suggestion and like I said, I have no idea what the CSRs enter in their system.

You're using the term "disabled", I'm using the term "released". For the purpose of selling the receiver, to me it's the same.

I did same as RandallA a few times plus got two cases when receivers has been deactivated but not 'released' and new owners can't activate them without calls from previous owner and ask CSR to 'release'.

Correct. I forgot that detail..But EQ can of course be redeployed...But only after it is deactivated and the account is current

Technically speaking the "deactivation" and account current part are business rules, not actual fact, it could be done without meeting those two terms, it just isn't. But yeah.

I did same as RandallA a few times plus got two cases when receivers has been deactivated but not 'released' and new owners can't activate them without calls from previous owner and ask CSR to 'release'.

This is exactly what happened to me, I had deactivated 2 receivers & sold them on this board, both people who bought then were unable to activate them until I called Dish & had them release them from my account.

When both people tried to activate them Dish told them there was a balance, which happened to equal my monthly bill. A quick call to the CSR to release the receivers & the new owners were able to activate them 5 minutes later.

I am thankful I had sold them on this board, both to knowledgeable longtime members, if I had sold them on ebay it could have been quite a mess

Jordan