How sensitive is the DISH OTA (Hopper) adapter?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mark609

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 1, 2015
Texas
I was getting quite a few OTA channels very reliably when DISH set up the Hopper and one Joey combo but recently I'm not. Set up is a 13 year old 8 bow tie CH 4228 antenna mounted 30' up, 13 year old CH Titan 7777 pre-amp, and one of the latest DISH OTA adapter releases. I've heard that this DISH adapter, tuner, is not near as sensitive as a typical flat screen TV's internal tuner.

Also, do pre-amps burn out?

Our TV towers are ALL close together on an antenna farm 56 miles away at an elevation of 1,200'. My antenna's elevation is 1,800'.

Thanks

Sinle or dual tuner OTA adapter? If dual is it the first version or the second?

I was getting quite a few OTA channels very reliably when DISH set up the Hopper and one Joey combo but recently I'm not. Set up is a 13 year old 8 bow tie CH 4228 antenna mounted 30' up, 13 year old CH Titan 7777 pre-amp, and one of the latest DISH OTA adapter releases. I've heard that this DISH adapter, tuner, is not near as sensitive as a typical flat screen TV's internal tuner.

Also, do pre-amps burn out?

Our TV towers are ALL close together on an antenna farm 56 miles away at an elevation of 1,200'. My antenna's elevation is 1,800'.

Thanks

If your market is currently going through a spectrum repack, that might temporarily affect reception, and you may have to rescan for channels multiple times during the process.

I find that my Sony TV is much more sensitive than the latest version of the Hopper 3 dual OTA tuner. However, the extra channels that the TV pulls in are not ones I watch. They all seem to be low powered and show non-stop home shopping or other such cons involving a barker.

Reactions: Mark609 and HipKat
I have both versions of the dual ota tuner.....dish & AirTV
I still get the occasional "searching" on the screen

You will never escape that completely. Sometimes atmospheric conditions disrupt reception.

BTw there are three versions of the dual tuner. The original which was problematic and the a replace,et that is more reliable along with a near clone that is marketed for Air TV but works witha DISH Hopper.

Thanks for the input!

I have both versions of the dual ota tuner.....dish & AirTV
I still get the occasional "searching" on the screen

I do too, same thing on both - pixelation, no signal. I supposedly have the most recent adapter releases too. Dual tuner.

Apparently you need a signal strength of 83+ to be safe. I'm beginning to suspect my old Channel Master Titan 7777 has crapped out.

This equipment gets rave reviews. Amps have VERY low noise compared to Titans.
Product Selection Guide

I've re-scanned a lot over the last 3 weeks.

Last edited:
BTw there are three versions of the dual tuner. The original which was problematic and the a replace,et that is more reliable along with a near clone that is marketed for Air TV but works witha DISH Hopper.

My AirTV adapter is a late model, the #21368. DISH makes it.

I ordered one from Mark at Dish Depot too, $59, and asked for the #213502 which he said he stocks and promised he would send. Instead he did a switcharoo on me by sending the older #213293, claiming it IS the #213502 release. When I complained and finally filed a dispute with my card holder company he said there would be a restocking fee, which was never mentioned nor is stated on his website.

Yes, I am still pissed. I don't like cheaters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts