How the heck do you move a BUD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hotwire132002

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
OK, my local library is giving my their old C-Band dish--about 6 feet, I would guess (It's on the roof, so I can't measure it yet). Anyway, they're about 2 miles from my house. My question is, how the heck do you transport the dish? Anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance!

dfergie said:
With a pickup truck and a friend to hold it in the back...unless its a mesh dish which can be disassembled.

It's a mesh dish. How easy are they to disassemble/reassemble?

I read somewhere they have no further use for them and in some cases they are happy if someone comes and takes them away for free, they are not the newest of dishes.
I was thinking about asking the local RRI here if I can have their rusty old eyesore but I am still working on permission (wife).

Pete
See if you can get a couple of them. I'll take one...got no spot right now for it (damn HOA)

: ) I will keep my eyes open for one, but its a lot of work to dismantle/transport and reinstall a C band dish! Thats why they are free I guess, but it sounds like fun.
There is an old 6 foot c band dish here in my area, but its solid fiber glass and would need a large truck.

Iceberg said:
damn. I wish our local library would donate theirs to me :)

I got lucky--I do their web site (www.cadillaclibrary.org), so I'm good friends with the director of the library. I was talking today to her, and I mentioned the dish. She immediately said "Want it?" and I, of course, said "Sure!"

Hotwire - I have a 10" mesh BUD I bought used several years ago. It's much easier to reinstall if you dismantle it as little as possible. All I did was remove the mesh panels, just held in with screws. I left all the mounting hardware intact. I unhooked the actuator arm (after I took off the mesh so I didn't knock a hole in a panel) and removed the four arms holding the lnbs. I labeled EVERYTHING with a Sharpie. If you have to remove any of the mounting bracket, use a sharpie to make a straight line across the two parts. A flat bed truck is best, but I couldn't find one. So I bolted a couple of pieces of plywood sideways across my pickup. We laid the dish on that, and strapped it down tight. The dish will be wider than the truck, so take it slow and easy. I moved mine 20 miles and had no problems. I did take every back road I could find. I had already installed the pole prior to getting the dish. It took less than an hour to reinstall and aim, since we were careful when we took it down. It was a bit of a hassle to move, but it's still working great 12 years later, with only a few upgrades.

kcmo said:
Hotwire - I have a 10" mesh BUD I bought used several years ago. It's much easier to reinstall if you dismantle it as little as possible. All I did was remove the mesh panels, just held in with screws. I left all the mounting hardware intact. I unhooked the actuator arm (after I took off the mesh so I didn't knock a hole in a panel) and removed the four arms holding the lnbs. I labeled EVERYTHING with a Sharpie. If you have to remove any of the mounting bracket, use a sharpie to make a straight line across the two parts. A flat bed truck is best, but I couldn't find one. So I bolted a couple of pieces of plywood sideways across my pickup. We laid the dish on that, and strapped it down tight. The dish will be wider than the truck, so take it slow and easy. I moved mine 20 miles and had no problems. I did take every back road I could find. I had already installed the pole prior to getting the dish. It took less than an hour to reinstall and aim, since we were careful when we took it down. It was a bit of a hassle to move, but it's still working great 12 years later, with only a few upgrades.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I won't be moving it for a few weeks, as the library has to inform the library league that they're getting rid of the dish, which apparently is a slow process. BUT, this will all be VERY helpful when it comes time to actually move the thing!

If it looks like it's going to happen, I'd go ahead and get the pole put in, in advance of the move. Just make sure you it's straight on all four sides. It will save a lot of headaches.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)