How things have changed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Piff, there's probably that many in Michigan alone! lol

Some towns might have only ONE building left, but I'll pretty much guarantee you, that building is a bar!
Can’t find the actual number, but this story showed how many in Michigan with liquor sales over $100,000, the total is 300, detroit with the most at 72.

Everyone keeps forgetting that the United States is vast, many, many miles of nothing.

In downtown Orlando, there are only 80 and it is a major tourist area here-

Starting Monday, bars in the Downtown Entertainment Area of Orlando will be required to have a new permit if they plan to sell alcohol after midnight. As of Thursday, only 16 bars received an ‘After Midnight Sales Permit,’ out of the 80 bars in the area.

A lot of those are nightclubs, no need of DirecTV or Sunday Ticket.

From 2016-There are only 7,705 restaurants in the Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne metro area, not all of them will be serving booze of course or need DirecTV.

No, networks have been wanting to cut back for about 2 years now.

For CBS , can see the 10pm hour on Sundays held because of Football game if it runs late.

Saturday surprised me, they could of put movies up in that 2-3 hour time slot , save 48 hours for another night or to be used as a fill in after they cancel something, it is not like they do not have a movie library since they own Paramount.

Only 2 New Series in the Fall for CBS.

About a year or 2 ago, NBC announced they were going to give the 10pm hour to the locals, then walked it back.

So we will see what happens when ABC and NBC announce their Fall Schedules.
I wouldn't care if they all went to just two hours a night and use those shows that came on at 9pm for programming on Saturdays and Sundays. Recent Re-runs make me tune out since I just watched them this season. I don't even have many timers at all on Sundays and on Saturday we watch Svengoolie and the rest of Sci-fi Saturdays. Yes it is reruns, but much older I haven't seen in years since my childhood and teen years.

Sat can croak right along with cable as far as I'm concerned (maybe faster, without robust broadband attached to it). It started out as a primo, desirable service at a great price but was quickly run into the ground by its lack of quality servicing and rate hikes, with Charlie having said it was going to be different though soon he was just all about the signups and nothing about the taking care of customers.

I like the DiSH sat/DVR technology (ViP rx), but I'm guessing the benefit of that will be outstripped by streaming (maybe already has), particularly with Charlie's ever-escalating rates.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
As I have written before, sooner or later Cable and Satellite churn should slow down when we hit that mark of those who are happy with the service.

We just are not there yet, but will it slow down before it is unprofitable.

Altice ( the #4 Cable Company in subscriber numbers) has just announced they are either getting rid of or outsourcing their video service because it is unprofitable, they will just provide broadband

Frontier, Wide Open West and Fios has announced the same or already done so.
Like Fios, WOW has picked YTTV to supply video to it’s subscribers, Frontier is rumored to have also picked YTTV but no announcement yet-

During the early 2000's WOW Wide Open West was a start up in the Denver area. It looked very promising as competition for Comcast and Qwest (now Luman). I was looking forward to trying them but they never serviced my subdivision.

Within a few years they started pulling out of the area.

Now Luman seems to be ignoring our area leaving the old Qwest/Centurylink copper lines to rot and Comcast as our only choice for internet.

I have tried T-mobile wireless internet twice and both times gave up.

The service works well at times but I live near a State park. On weekends or holidays when the park is full I get no service at all.

Stuck with Comcast...

Reactions: navychop
We only have one wired choice, but we now have Verizon 5G, T Mobile and other internet suppliers. Since Spectrum has gotten so expensive, I don't see them with a data cap, as they will drive people to Verizon. If you have an unlimited Verizon plan, for $25 extra you can have Home Internet. The speed shown it a little less that Spectrum, but a lot less, still in the 150-200 down. Spectrum is about 330 down here.
Some outfits have done pretty good with free streaming services like Pluto with their ad content.
The problem with traditional cable/satellite as we all know is the cost. At at least $100+ a month, the average person cannot continue to afford it and the rate hikes. I don't blame the carriers as the programmers are the cause.
For years we paid (Double dipping) for commercial channels on Dish, Direct, Cable without thinking much about it. But no longer is the consumer paying 10 cents a channel. Why pay for channels with ads.? That is where services like Pluto, Xumo, Plex, come in. Some channels are exactly like the cable version, some are not. Being ad supported they should be free.
Do see a point in the not too distant future that streaming in most cases will be it. The cost of keeping satellite & cable going will not work. Right now some smaller cable companies have already dropped their TV service and only going with internet and phone.
I don't mind seeing the reports on how many subs are dropping traditional carriers. It gives me an idea where the industry is going.

Reactions: primestar31
Next year will be back to 1985 rates. Moving downward. Cord cutting is really kicking the legacy sat/cable in the butt. :onthego
I think Cable TV will always be around in some form, but most will be in some streaming form. Fubo, YTTV, Direct, etc all are streaming forms of cable TV. There is just no wire going to your house.

I think Cable TV will always be around in some form, but most will be in some streaming form. Fubo, YTTV, Direct, etc all are streaming forms of cable TV. There is just no wire going to your house.
Depends on how profitable it is, already, Fios, WIde Open West , Frontier and Alltice ( former Cablevision) have either already have gotten rid of or announced they are getting rid of video because it was unprofitable, going with Broadband only and 3 of those have already made a deal with YTTV.

Like Fios, WOW has picked YTTV to supply video to it’s subscribers, Frontier is rumored to have also picked YTTV but no announcement yet-

If you look at Frontier's website, it appears that YouTube TV is the only pay TV option they actively sell now, although their support pages indicate that they continue to operate both "Frontier TV" (the IPTV system in the areas they purchased from AT&T running on the old Uverse TV platform) and "Fiber TV" (the QAM system in the areas they purchased from Verizon running on the FiOS TV platform). Have to wonder how much longer they'll continue to operate those two legacy platforms before shutting them down.

By 2026, I'm not sure any US broadband operators other than Comcast and Charter will still be selling their own in-house branded pay TV service. IDK, maybe Cox?

By 2026, I'm not sure any US broadband operators other than Comcast and Charter will still be selling their own in-house branded pay TV service. IDK, maybe Cox?
Cox only has 3 million, so depending on their loss ( not announced), I could see them getting rid of video.

DirecTV and maybe Dish will definitely be unprofitable by then, Dish might be sooner since Ergen is off begging for money from Dubai ( see link at bottom), which also does not look good for a merger.

Charter and Comcast could last longer since they have so many subscribers still, but , I believe, they both will see a major mass exodus if prices go up too much more, specially since more content is pulled away from Traditional Channels, look at ABC Fall Schedule, they did no preparation for the strike, unlike the other three, who made everyone start producing the next season as soon as production was done on the current season, yet ABC expects people to pay for what will be on.

Speaking of Charter

then the Dish Story-

Depends on how profitable it is, already, Fios, WIde Open West , Frontier and Alltice ( former Cablevision) have either already have gotten rid of or announced they are getting rid of video because it was unprofitable, going with Broadband only and 3 of those have already made a deal with YTTV.
More are giving up on it’s Traditional Cable TV service-

Sparklight Cable (also known as Cable One), Century Link and Wikes Communications/ RiverStreet Networks have also shut down their cable TV service in Virginia and North Carolina.

Century Link and Wilkes have just given up on video, just saying there are options out there for you to find.

Sparklight is sub-contracting with YTTV to offer an online TV service called Sparklight TV.

Cox only has 3 million, so depending on their loss ( not announced), I could see them getting rid of video.

DirecTV and maybe Dish will definitely be unprofitable by then, Dish might be sooner since Ergen is off begging for money from Dubai ( see link at bottom), which also does not look good for a merger.

Charter and Comcast could last longer since they have so many subscribers still, but , I believe, they both will see a major mass exodus if prices go up too much more, specially since more content is pulled away from Traditional Channels, look at ABC Fall Schedule, they did no preparation for the strike, unlike the other three, who made everyone start producing the next season as soon as production was done on the current season, yet ABC expects people to pay for what will be on.

Speaking of Charter

then the Dish Story-

Things not looking good for Charlie with .30 cents on the dollar and $14.7 billion in distressed debt. I have said all along that trying to break into the cell phone market was a risky venture. Now the fates are homing in on Ergen's plans for the future. I think we can safely say that a satellite merger is off now when both companies are hemorrhaging subs at a fast clip and like I have said before it would be like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic with the iceberg still on the horizon. Maybe Charlie ought to think about combining his two separate companies DISH and Dishnetwork and then he would have more profits to draw from. But I am not sure about Dishnetwork and it's profits these days and whether it would be feasible. :smug

Reactions: dishdude
Maybe Charlie ought to think about combining his two separate companies DISH and Dishnetwork and then he would have more profits to draw from. But I am not sure about Dishnetwork and its profits these days and whether it would be feasible. :smug
The problem with merging the two companies is if it happens ( depends on the government also) , where does the money come from to finance both companies at first, it would be the same problems Dish is facing now, cannot get a loan, bond markets are pretty frozen right now, then the high rate of interest.

Does not help that a large portion of debt is due next year.

The problem with merging the two companies is if it happens ( depends on the government also) , where does the money come from to finance both companies at first, it would be the same problems Dish is facing now, cannot get a loan, bond markets are pretty frozen right now, then the high rate of interest.

Does not help that a large portion of debt is due next year.
And at the same time, Dish will need a new satellite in orbit to continue operating service by around 2026. Ergen has recently talked about buying and launching another sat, but that's very expensive. Maybe it's just talk so as not to appear as desperate for a merger with DTV, whose newer satellite fleet should be fine until the early 2030s.

The only way for Dish and Direct to try and survive would be to merge. There will no longer be enough subs to support either in the near future. What has killed the cable/satellite industry is the demand in $$$ from the programmers. If an average cable/satellite bill was $50, there would not see the decline. At $100-$200 a month, the average American cannot afford it, not with everything going up. In time locals probably will not be included in many packs. They will all be sold ale carte. The price may be as much as $25-$35 a month. At that point, who will be willing to pay for locals. As the satellites go up to supply internet to rural areas, so everything will be in some sort of streaming form. We are already going that way quickly. My son streams the shows he wants now. He is 27, nearly 28, and could care less about traditional TV. He doesn't even care what studio does his favorite shows. As OTA TV is going after 3.0, do the masses really care? Another way in time to scramble what they want behind a pay wall. With so many free streaming services, the need for a traditional TV service is not needed as much. Myself, once my contract is up in Nov, I will be going to the Basic International Pack ($15) and locals ($12). If I can keep the Supers, fine, if not my bill will be $7 less. After all I can stream KTLA, etc their news in HD. I watch so little Dish these days. I am on Prime or You Tube most of the time watching older shows & movies.