Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
I was reading this article

That said this-
Last summer, for the first time, streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime claimed the largest share of the television viewing audience, surpassing both cable and broadcast TV. Streaming captured 34.8 percent of July viewers, according to Nielsen data, compared to 34.4 percent for cable and 21.6 percent for broadcast.

And then, sometime in the second half of 2022, cord-cutters became the majority. The share of cable and satellite television subscribers dipped to 48 percent, according to a report from Samba TV, a television technology company.

Now I do not consider those with YTTV and the likes, Cord Cutters, but they still do not have Traditional Cable/Satellite delivered Live TV, so I decided to do the math.

There are, now, 129 Million Households in the United States.

In 2015, there were 100 Million Cable/Sat Subscribers , no streaming Live TV Service.

Today, there are 66 Million Live TV subscribers, including Cable, Satellite and Streaming.

Roughly, Streaming Live TV has 14 Million subs including all of them.

So that means, Cable/Satellite now has, roughly, 51 Million Households

So in just 8 years, lost 49% of their subscribers and by the end of this year, expected sub count to be, roughly, 45 million households.

That means a total loss of 55% since 2015 at the end of 2023.

But out of 129 Million households, 45 million will mean only 35% will get Cable/Satellite Delivered Live TV by the end of 2023.

Imagine what 2024 will be like.

• Wow
Reactions: MikeD-C05
You know, I normally wouldn't post something like this, but you seem to take glee in reporting news like this. Seems like every week you post a new thread about how cable/satellite is dying. We get it. So why all the threads?
This is the cord cutter forum, the info was about that subject, did not know you were in charge of moderating things here.

Why even post what you wrote, you did not even comment on the subject, basically you just posted to criticize me.

It's the volume of posts about the same subject that is off-putting, at least for me. No I am not a moderator but I think I'm allowed to say it's annoying.
It is the cord cutter forum, so of course it is the same subject, do you go after people that posts multiple things about their Hopper in the Dish forum.

It was a new article and I posted it, also did some basic math to see if it was correct, in the proper forum.

You know, I normally wouldn't post something like this, but you seem to take glee in reporting news like this. Seems like every week you post a new thread about how cable/satellite is dying. We get it. So why all the threads?
THIS.

This subject has been covered in the OP's previous 1000 threads, including the inaccurate takes from the googled up material.

THIS.

This subject has been covered in the OP's previous 1000 threads, including the inaccurate takes from the googled up material.
And yet you cannot dispute it, just go the attack as you always do.

I don't "dispute" anything. We have a diverse lot of posters here. Including many insiders and former insiders and a lot of laypeople who just want to discuss television and the industry. We have posts that range from technical help to reviews of particular shows to general sports talk and more. Lots of interesting and informative threads.

Read what our many great posters have to say. Lots about lots of things. Good takes. Good information.

And, almost daily, the same take from you. "cable and DBS are dying". "cable and DBS are dying". "cable and DBS are dying". "cable and DBS are dying".

Over and over and over. The same thread topic. 200 times over.

We get it. You have an (incorrect, BTW) opinion about the future of linear and OTA television. Next subject?

We get it. You have an (incorrect, BTW) opinion about the future of linear and OTA television. Next subject?
Well instead of attacking my opinion, which I backed up with links and actual numbers provided from the Cable/Satellite Companies in their quarterly reports, debate, show me where I am incorrect.

But I doubt that will happen, you would just rather rant away and attack since you do not like the future of Television programing .

Television has been all about change since it started-

From Kinescope to Film to Video to Digital.

From Antenna to Cable to Satellite to Streaming

From watch it Live to reruns to record on VCR to DVR to On Demand.

From Tapes to LaserDiscs to DVD to Blu-Ray to 4K Blu-Rays.

From 480i to 720P/1080i to 1080P to 4K

From very little new content ( when it was just CBS/NBC/ABC) to way too much.

So let’s go back and wipe away all these advancements just because you do not like it.

Or do you prefer to keep certain advancements because you like them and then get rid of the things you do not like.

Well instead of attacking my opinion, which I backed up with links and actual numbers provided from the Cable/Satellite Companies in their quarterly reports, debate, show me where I am incorrect.

But I doubt that will happen, you would just rather rant away and attack since you do not like the future of Television programing .

Television has been all about change since it started-

From Kinescope to Film to Video to Digital.

From Antenna to Cable to Satellite to Streaming

From watch it Live to reruns to record on VCR to DVR to On Demand.

From Tapes to LaserDiscs to DVD to Blu-Ray to 4K Blu-Rays.

From 480i to 720P/1080i to 1080P to 4K

From very little new content ( when it was just CBS/NBC/ABC) to way too much.

So let’s go back and wipe away all these advancements just because you do not like it.

Or do you prefer to keep certain advancements because you like them and then get rid of the things you do not like.

You aren't getting the point. Your endless posts about the same topic show some kind of obsession with proving that cable and satellite are dying. I think by now we all get it.

You aren't getting the point. Your endless posts about the same topic show some kind of obsession with proving that cable and satellite are dying. I think by now we all get it.
Dude, who put you in charge of where/what I can post.

This is the Cord Cutter Forum, when new info pops, I will put it in here if I feel newsworthy, for example all the new quarterly reports about Cable/Satellite came out over the last 2 weeks, I could of put each company in it’s own thread, but I kept it to one.

If Scott or any other mod has a issue, they will tell me, they have not.

• Love
I will put it in here if I feel newsworthy, for example all the new quarterly reports about Cable/Satellite came out over the last 2 weeks, I could of put each company in it’s own thread, but I kept it to one

Why do you care at all? We get it, you love all your streaming services and you have an endless need to prove that they're SO much better than satellite, cable, OTA. I, for one, would prefer your posts not litter my feed with endless propaganda about why streaming is killing cable and satellite.

Why do you care at all? We get it, you love all your streaming services and you have an endless need to prove that they're SO much better than satellite, cable, OTA. I, for one, would prefer your posts not litter my feed with endless propaganda about why streaming is killing cable and satellite.
Then why respond, instead of debating or comment on the subject, you choose to attack because you do not like what I post and then call it propaganda, which it is not.

It's not an attack, it's a fact.
Dude, I do not know what is going on with you and why you have decided to made me a target.

I do not know you, never interact with you since I keep the majority of postings here and the pit.

If you wish to comment or debate, go for it, but constantly attacking a member and making it personal over what he posts is just a waste of time.

And again, no one has complained about what I posts until you.

I have a suggestion, and that is all it is: If you don't like Bruce's postings simply put him on ignore or don't read them . There is little reason to attack any poster on Satellite Guys. If you have a problem with any post report that post and let the powers that be handle it.

I have, many times. This will be the last.

The various and repetitive links to raw numbers you google up daily are not wrong. Your conclusions about what they mean are.

First, you make the amateurish conclusion that a trend goes on forever. Nope. Not that long ago, 99% of people had three choices for TV. Cable, which was generally poor; DISH, which (back then) was a little better but always aimed at the discount market; and DirecTV which was (and remains) the best for those who simply want it all.

The came other options. Two really. One is streaming linear packages like YTTV. Different mixes of channels, and, and this is important, mostly with less sports because sports are a main driver of costs in this industry. The other is simply doing without linear TV at all and relying on the (unprofitable) streaming services. This is again mostly about sports and its costs, but also just general cheapness. Every cord switcher post includes the phrase "I don't miss ________ that much".

OK, now everyone has chosen. MOST people are going with a form of linear TV and supplementing with some streamers. A significant number of people are living on streaming only. A significant number of people are happy with linear TV only. The point you miss is, everyone has picked what works for them. The idea that linear TV, or even DBS or cable, will dwindle down to zero is just wrong. This is not a "trend", this is people offered new options and everyone who wanted those options has moved on. No one is sitting around staring blanking at their TV wishing there was another option. EVERYONE has picked.

Second, streaming is not profitable. No one really knows how to make it so. Gloss overs like "it will be in a couple of years" ignore the facts that, unlike cable or DBS which have high infrastructure costs, streaming really doesn't. Yet the number of people who want it, all of which, BTW, currently have it, don't cover the costs. Really that simple.

The smart companies in this are Sony and Fox. They are not jeopardizing their entire corporations in what may, very well be, a vain attempt to make money at something that simply is not a thing that makes money.

But the point is not that. The point is that this is a diverse and huge country. What works for YOU is different from what other people might want. YOU are not the early adopter and the rest of us rubes and hicks will figure it out someday. Everyone has picked. And, as you say, this is the "cord cutter" forum (which is woefully misnamed, BTW). The other posters here discuss content, good shows, bad shows, tech help, discounts, what service is the one with the good shows next month. You post, over and over, that streaming only is the only choice for everyone.

No, no it isn't. Most people disagree.

I think you're correct. I picked, several years ago. I have OTA + Netflix and that works for me. My employer provides YTTV but I never use it. I don't forsee making any changes to my TV habits. What I have works.
I have to disagree that everyone has already settled on a service format. If we all had, why are the numbers for each service still going up and down so much. If everyone had already picked, the numbers should be fairly stable with just the competitive churn numbers within the each service format changing for the most part.

Yeah, it's a nonsensical argument, just like 'everyone who wants Sunday Ticket has it' and pretending like DirecTV being required for it deters nobody from getting it (and saying it to people who are in that exact situation and are now Sunday Ticket subscribers now that it doesn't require $1000's in extra costs for the privilege). The reality is there is no ebb and flow, people equally moving back and forth cutting and reconnecting the cord. Traditional providers are in a relative freefall as streaming matures. The new normal for both remains to be seen, with consolidation, success, and failure stories remaining to be determined.

Look, both sides have some valid points here, but both also misplace the enthusiasm of their arguments leading to things like the above and some of the reactions in this thread that do nothing to exacerbate the very thing they're decrying. I'm all for monolithic threads updating a topic (per provider, growth of the industry, death knells of the old guard, etc) but complaining about people starting unnecessary threads on a forum that needs the ad revenue is a losing battle I've already fought before. Keeping said threads alive long past the point they originally seek to make is just self-sustaining wreck-on-a-wreck.