How things have changed

So you just want to put down streaming for the 1000th time and then not defend your incorrect statement?

First, you are missing the point on what Mike posted about TBS and TNT, which is they are no longer producing or showing new scripted content, which is the same for a lot of cable channels, he was pointing out, you are paying a ever increasing monthly bill for less new content and more reruns, which can be found for free on services like Pluto.

Now with Netflix, yes they produce a lot of content , maybe you might like 10 series out of 100, but that does not mean someone else does not like the series you do not care about.

We as human beings make a lot of assumptions about what we like and everyone else is the same, but that is untrue of course.

For example, I have never watched any of the Law and Orders or Chicago shows, but obviously someone does or they would not of been on for 98 seasons.

Now you say you do not watch a lot of Netflix, fine, I do, but unlike you, I watch a lot of it , but only watch 1 show on ABC, none on NBC and about six on CBS.

But since Netflix has more subscribers then paid Live TV, still showing growth every quarter, a lot of people must like it.
I See YOU missed the point AGAIN ...

That WAS my Point ...
I was actually AGREEING with him, but you won't let anyone say anything without your own version.

After reading the 2nd line, I've decided its just Not worth it ..... YOU WIN.

I'm done.

The question is going to be what is the consumer preferred programming churn on services like Netflix. Disney+ will have little to no churn, Netflix will have considerable churn. What is the legacy programming people will pay to keep as a comfort option?

There will likely be some saturation point for legacy programming. The streaming model is far from set.

The question is going to be what is the consumer preferred programming churn on services like Netflix. Disney+ will have little to no churn, Netflix will have considerable churn. What is the legacy programming people will pay to keep as a comfort option?

There will likely be some saturation point for legacy programming. The streaming model is far from set.
Q1 2024, Netflix had the least churn, followed by Amazon, then Disney+.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Q1 2024, Netflix had the least churn, followed by Amazon, then Disney+.
My question was asking about "programming churn" not subs. What is the sweet spot for Netflix regarding consistent content or the type of consistent content. A company like Disney+ has low churn due to them concentrating on their own material. Netflix is about showing mostly other people's work.

I See YOU missed the point AGAIN ...

That WAS my Point ...
I was actually AGREEING with him, but you won't let anyone say anything without your own version..
No, it was another complaint post about streaming, this time about Netflix and how you do not like the majority of shows on there.

Ok everyone, Lets agree to disagree and move on. It's just TV. :biggrin2

Harry Potter No GIF

Fall Schedule is out for the big 4 Networks, out of 21 Hours a week for Prime Time (7 x 3)
ABC only 5.5 Hours of new scripted content
NBC-10 Hours
CBS-12 Hours
FOX-6 Hours including 2 Hours of cartoons

And the rest is reality, game shows, sports and reruns.

How things have changed in a easy to look at picture-

View attachment 171634

I finally convinced my wife to try the Channels DVR I setup, and she liked it, so she cancelled YTTV. The only thing we were watching on it was local channels and that was local news that is available in apps anyway.

I finally convinced my wife to try the Channels DVR I setup, and she liked it, so she cancelled YTTV. The only thing we were watching on it was local channels and that was local news that is available in apps anyway.
I personally liked YTTV, but my issue was the lack of new content on Broadcast/Cable Channels.

When I was getting that content plus the streaming exclusives on the streaming services, became a easy decision to drop it.

Yes, I have way too many services, Hulu/Disney+/ESPN, Paramount+ w/Showtime, Peacock, HBOMAX, Netflix, Apple TV+, except for Peacock, all at their highest tiers (no commercials, 4K, etc), but thanks to deals/discounts, my average monthly total is a little less then the basic YTTV service.

College/NFL Football is the only issue, hopefully Venu (hate that name) will be up on time.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
What is Venu?
The new streaming Live TV service that will have ABC, all of ESPN ( including plus), Fox, Fox Sports, Big Ten, TNT, TBS.

So all the channels that carry sports owned by Disney, Fox and Warner, both broadcast and cable channels.

Supposed to be around $40-50 a month, if a lot more then that, I will just get YTTV again for the 5 months.

I really just need ESPN and Big Ten Network.

I love my Channels dvr I've had for over two years now. I have all my local channels including ATSC 3.0 (only 1 is encrypted), and around 1,200 streaming channels, and ALL with an integrated guide and ALL of them can be recorded.

Q1 2024Change since
Q1 2023
Cable, Satellite, Telco TV homes55.3 million-12.5%
Penetration of occupied homes42.2%-6%
Homes without cable, satellite, telco TV75.7 million+11.4%

I just one year, Cable/Satellite lost 12.5%, that is a amazing number.

US homes with a pay live TV subscription fell by 6.4 million in 2023. Traditional pay TV providers lost 8.4 million subscribers, while vMVPDs gained 2 million. Pay live TV homes will reach 50% or lower in 2025.

I personally liked YTTV, but my issue was the lack of new content on Broadcast/Cable Channels.
Yeah, we liked it well enough, but we didn't like paying as much as we did for how little we used it. My parents on the other hand, really use theirs a lot, and it is saving them around $80/month compared to what they used to pay Spectrum.

Yeah, we liked it well enough, but we didn't like paying as much as we did for how little we used it. My parents on the other hand, really use theirs a lot, and it is saving them around $80/month compared to what they used to pay Spectrum.
Wow that seems like a huge savings. Was their Spectrum tv lineup about the same as youtube tv?

Wow that seems like a huge savings. Was their Spectrum tv lineup about the same as youtube tv?
Pretty similar, but it wasn't the programming costs that were killing them so much as it was the equipment fees (2 DVRs) and local broadcast fee:

2 Receivers @ $12.50 each ($25 total)
2 DVR Fee @ $20
Broadcast fee @ $25.75
Select channel package @ $89.99

The got a $10 bundle discount since they had internet and phone as well, but even with losing that, YTTV represents a huge savings for them.

Pretty similar, but it wasn't the programming costs that were killing them so much as it was the equipment fees (2 DVRs) and local broadcast fee:

2 Receivers @ $12.50 each ($25 total)
2 DVR Fee @ $20
Broadcast fee @ $25.75
Select channel package @ $89.99
Comcast and DirecTV are about the same totals in pricing.

Yet, the 3 of them account for the majority of subscribers leaving Traditional Paid Live TV.

Keep paying more and more for less and less new scripted content and a bunch of reruns that are available for free on services like Pluto TV.

Disney/Hulu News