How to achieve HD quality from VOD, Netflix

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
or any of the other services. What factors determine the quality? Is it he internet speed, the tv, HWS?

Also when viewing via dish anywhere what determines if you can achieve HD quality? I don't have a fast internet connection by if I download a movie, that shouldn't matter should it? It would just take longer to download, but it should still be HD.......or am I completely wrong on this situation

It's more about compession than speed, at least with VOD. With Netflix, your slower speeds my preclude you from receiving HD.

What factors determine the quality?
Internet speed

I don't have a fast internet connection by if I download a movie, that shouldn't matter should it? It would just take longer to download, but it should still be HD.......or am I completely wrong on this situation
This is a mystery to most people, I think. If you want to stream and watch right away, same as above, it's all about internet speed. If you let it download in the background, it should take longer but be very good quality. Doesn't always seem to be the case though...

Yes, but only to a certain point. For example, to get 1080 streaming from Netflix, you need a minimum sustained bitrate of 3.850mbps (meaning that your actual download bitrate should be somewhat higher). For those with faster internet speeds, Netflix also streams 1080 at 4.3mbps and 5.8mbps. If your system can handle 5.8mbps, then it won't help with Netflix if you have a faster speed than that.

It is the same with most streaming services. Faster internet is definitely better, but once your download bitrate is higher than the bitrate that is streamed to you, it doesn't help the video quality to have faster speeds (except that your streaming buffer will stay full - meaning less pauses for 'buffering').

is the consensus that the faster the internet connection the better the quality?
Yes. Read what Netflix has to say about it here.
  • 0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
  • 1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
  • 3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
  • 5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
  • 25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality
(snip)

Netflix Bandwidth Usage

Higher quality video uses more bandwidth than lower-quality video.

What speed internet do you have ?

But, VOD isn't streaming like Netflix is. They are downloaded and watched from the HDD, correct? Then if you have half the bandwidth it would take twice the time to download, but it shouldn't have to reduce the quality of the download.

Reactions: TheKrell
But, VOD isn't streaming like Netflix is. They are downloaded and watched from the HDD, correct? Then if you have half the bandwidth it would take twice the time to download, but it shouldn't have to reduce the quality of the download.

That's the theory, anyway. But several folks with modest bandwidth say that it adapts down to unwatchable PQ for low bandwidth providers, even when you choose to Watch Later. I have about 30Mbps down, and even the SD VOD is pretty darn good in my estimation.

But, VOD isn't streaming like Netflix is. They are downloaded and watched from the HDD, correct?
This is a mystery to most people, I think. If you want to stream and watch right away, same as above, it's all about internet speed. If you let it download in the background, it should take longer but be very good quality. Doesn't always seem to be the case though...
This is where Dish has confused the hell out of the situation..... They label channels 1 and 501-5XX as "VOD". Those come via satellite and are already sitting on the HDDs of the receivers. Since they come by satellite, internet connection speed isn't involved whatsoever. The quality of the events on those channels is very good (yes, it's compressed and probably even "HD lite" too). Hell, I remember back in the 522 days (~2005), Dish referred to our DVR playback as "video on demand".

What everyone else in the broadcast world refers to as "VOD" is streamed (via your internet bandwidth). On Dish, that would be stuff you access via "On Demand" and one or two other paths. When you select it, it will tell you it will be downloaded and if you're paying attention, it will show the current streaming rate. It also gives you the choice to "Watch now" or "Watch later".

This is where Dish has confused the hell out of the situation..... They label channels 1 and 501-5XX as "VOD". Those come via satellite and are already sitting on the HDDs of the receivers. Since they come by satellite, internet connection speed isn't involved whatsoever. The quality of the events on those channels is very good (yes, it's compressed and probably even "HD lite" too). Hell, I remember back in the 522 days (~2005), Dish referred to our DVR playback as "video on demand".

What everyone else in the broadcast world refers to as "VOD" is streamed (via your internet bandwidth). On Dish, that would be stuff you access via "On Demand" and one or two other paths. When you select it, it will tell you it will be downloaded and if you're paying attention, it will show the current streaming rate. It also gives you the choice to "Watch now" or "Watch later".

This is what I am talking about. If I choose to catch up on a program from ABC, NBC,CMT or whoever.......when I download that.......they quality is nowhere near HD, even though it says that it is.

You never did answer the question....what is you max rated internet speed?????

If I choose to catch up on a program from ABC, NBC,CMT or whoever.......when I download that.......
Okay, those are definitely downloaded via your internet connection. For the sake of discussion, let's not call these "VOD" ;)

Do you pick the watch now or later option ? Try both and compare the PQ. I will try one when I get home with the watch now option. My internet is only 15Mb/s too....

There is impulse VOD, and IPVOD and SVOD. S= subscription video on demand, IPVOD is the pay movies but require an Internet connection to dload, and IVOD is the 501 and 1 video on demands. All 3 fit the definition of on demand as they are all able to be played upon selecting to order them on your schedule. Similar to a DVR playback after you record it, but is slightly different as the VOD are already on the receiver and just need to be fully downloaded/or authorized.

People are going to look in menus for IPVOD, SVOD, etc and not find anything... You keep repeating terms that don't exist in Dish-land.

This thread is going nowhere, guys. The OP/TS is inviting over thinking, and has been nitpicking just about everything since he got a Hopper. Downloaded VOD, regardless of internet speed, is what you get. Some over compressed, some not. I downloaded an HBO movie, watched after about five minutes into the download, and looked good to me.

Last edited:
I am watching Alaska State Troopers from "On Demand" right now. It took maybe 15 seconds for the "Watch now" button to light up and I started right away. No buffering so far and the quality is fine. It's not immaculate HD quality but isn't poor SD quality either.

I am watching Alaska State Troopers from "On Demand" right now. It took maybe 15 seconds for the "Watch now" button to light up and I started right away. No buffering so far and the quality is fine. It's not immaculate HD quality but isn't poor SD quality either.
As most of us know, the only immaculate HD is Blu-Ray, or OTA, second. As most of is know.

After trying AST, I also tried Black Sails and started watching it while it was still downloading. The PQ was not very good - very washed out, actually. I stopped watching... I'm watching it now, after it's fully downloaded and the PQ is much, much better.

After trying AST, I also tried Black Sails and started watching it while it was still downloading. The PQ was not very good - very washed out, actually. I stopped watching... I'm watching it now, after it's fully downloaded and the PQ is much, much better.
Patience is a virtue!

Reactions: ChadT41
For Netflix, the picture quality may also depend on the ISP. Some ISPs have agreements with Netflix and may be streaming at higher bitrates than others.

Reactions: allargon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts