How to adapt Direct TV dish to FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

slbubba

Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
Folks;

I just moved to New Mexico with my Nfusion HD receiver. The apartment I'm in has a Direct TV dish that the last occupant left. The dish appears to be pointed South with an elevation of about 50 degrees. The dish appears to have 3 LNB's on a bar but there are only 2 coax cables. The LNB in the middle looks different from the ones on either end.

My main question is: What are the LNB LO frequencies? Also I am assuming that they are circular polarized, Ku Band, Universal LNB's.

I want to use this dish for FTA international broadcasts on other satellites so I'll be pointing it elsewhere once I can get it setup on the sats it is currently pointed at for Direct TV.

So without having to worry about pointing the dish at the moment my only problem is setting up all the parameters for the receiver.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Warren

Here is a list of DirecTV dishes and LNBs.
Find yours and read about it.
Then, tell us which one you have, and we can give you more help.

I'm suspecting it's a newer Ku/Ka dish.
Pretty much all their dishes are outfitted with circular LNBs which won't do a lot of good for FTA.
Also, you won't be able to watch anything from the DirecTV satellites.

Here's what I have

Thanks for the URL. I went outside now that it's daylight and looked at the dish and was able to check out the bar that holds the LNB's. I have the newer model below.

AU9-SL3 Triple LNB Ka/Ku Slim Line SWM

So I guess of the two leads I have, one is Ka and the other Ku band. If this is true then the Ka band lead is useless to me but the Ku band should work.

As far as watching Direct TV or DISH on my FTA, I have no interest in either of them. I have HD cable with 200 stations I don't watch already. :)

My interests and purpose for buying an FTA was simply to view FTA from other countries and that's it. Most of these are Ku band and I should be able to press this dish into service.

So, given the dish I have do you have any info on the critical settings I need for my FTA receiver? I think all I need to get started experimenting is the LNB type (standard, universal, etc) and the LO. Since the cable goes directly to the receiver I shouldn't need DiSEqC right?

Thanks for your help.

Warren

The KU lnbf will be circular so it's not going to be much good for watching the int'l channels on 97W.....you may be able to replace it with a linear lnbf. I have the older version of that dish, AT9, has what I think is the same configuration (before I tore it to hell for parts I needed).
I'd dump the ka lnb since it's the one bore-sighted to the dish and finagle a holder for a linear lnbf there. Several threads on forum about converting dishnet or directv dishes, for linear satellites. I have a Dish500 dish I did the same thing with, just for fun.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)