How to Add Another Receiver?

stevelite

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
Howdy folks. Could you please provide some advice on how to hook up one more receiver to existing setup?

Please see the picture provided for the setup.
From what I can tell, there are two cables coming off Dish 500 with one LNBF connected to 2 Dishpro 311 receivers. From what I was told because I have cable/high speed cable o Eagle Aspan DO-2100xs were used. What I would like to do is, to add another receiver at point B.

Could I add DishPro DP34 Switch at point B and hook up two receivers ? Thanks for your assistance.

Attachments

• setup.JPG
    setup.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 258
Whether you can use a DP34 depends upon what type of LNBF is on your Dish500. Chances are you have a DP TWIN. If you do you are in business, although it would have to be installed "upstream" from your Point B so that both output ports from the TWIN feed it and the outputs to all receivers feed out of it.

However, if you have the new DPP (DP Plus) TWIN you can't use the DP34. You would probably get a DPP44 switch instead.

If you don't know which LNBF you have go to the "System Info" screen (SYS INFO on remote) or run a "Check Switch" from the PD&S screen (MENU, 6, 1, 1).

This is what I found from "Check Switch"

Installed Switch=unknown
INPUT 1 1 2 2
Satellite 61.5 61.5 x x
Polarity odd even x x

Looks like I have a DP Twin.

Thanks for suggestion, but one problem from regarding upstream from point B.
Only two cables(used by satellite and cable) are going into the house from outside and one goes upstairs and one downstairs. It would be difficult to get two cables "upstream" at point B. I could try to "upstream" at the entry point of the house, but I would be only able to get 2 cables to receivers unless house is rewired to add two more cables.

Any other suggestions anyone?

You're only getting 61.5 - I'm guessing you are a Sky Angel only customer?

Pointing at only one satellite, and if you never intend to connect another, you could technically insert a DishPro compatible splitter at point B, however I don't know if that will work with the DP Twin. It would definitely work with a DP Single or DP Dual.

A mod should move this to the Dish Network forum so more experts in that area can see it and respond.

If he's getting 61.5 and device type is unknown then he has a legacy dual output lnbf, he would need a 4 way multi switch. Another thing that bothers me is that there is one cable from the dish but two recievers already if Im reading him correctly, if thats the case then there is a splitter in line and he will either be getting odd channels on one reciever and even on the other or nothing at all.

LOL, Yeah, for now just have one dish pointing to 61.5 for Dish network international programming. Since my Adelphia cable stopped providing discount for cable service, now paying $47.99, I am thinking about canceling cable and adding America’s Top 180 for same price. Only reason I am keeping Adelphia is for high speed internet. But now since Bellsouth is offering high speed starting at $24.99, I am thinking about canceling Adelphia all together.

Mod, could you please move this to Dish network section . Thanks.

OK, you didn't say you just had int'ls at 61.5.

That means you have a dual LNBF feeding your existing 2 receivers.

If it is a "legacy" dual LNBF all you need is a fairly inexpensive multiswitch like DirecTV customers have used for years - available at practically any electronics store. You will still need to feed both outputs of the LNBF into the multi-switch and then feed all the receivers from it.

If you have a DishPro dual LNBF (or DP single split), and all you want is the int'l programming you have from 61.5 you best bet is to swap the LNBF for the legacy version and do what I said above. Of course you could put up a 2nd dish instaed.

If you want to get all your TV from DISH instead of cable you will get a Dish500 with a DP+ TWIN and feed your DP LNBF into it.

Good luck!

"I am thinking about canceling cable and adding America’s Top 180 for same price"

If you are going back to Dish, you will need a Dish 500 pointing at 119/110 and that will change what kind of switch you'll need and your configuration.

One more thing about the Eagle Aspen diplexer, make sure the diplexer you are using is rated 5-2250 MHz. The return path in the cable modems is usually below 40 Mhz and you will run into problems.

<<One more thing about the Eagle Aspen diplexer, make sure the diplexer you are using is rated 5-2250 MHz. The return path in the cable modems is usually below 40 Mhz and you will run into problems.>>

Thanks for the information. It's good to know. Mine must be rated below 5 MHz cause using HSI now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)